Switched form GC 0W-30 to M1 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
And noticed that engine is noisier, however it does rev more freely. Also on the cold morning starts engine sounds dry with M1 over the first few cranks where with GC it turned over more smoothly? I found that strange given that both are 0W oils?
The engine is Mazda 2.5L V6 with 73K and manual calls for either 5 or 10W-30.

Comments welcome.

I have sent a sample of GC for analysys and results will tell how well it worked for me. Reading some UOA with M1 0W-20 got me curious so I wanted to give it a try and I will do the UOA as well on it after 6K or so. I'm not sure it would be good summer oil?

JELLY!!!! Glad to see your still around.
That goes back to that Mercruiser filter study, you either choose high flow with little capture or low flow with high capture.

A great deal of people associate "cold morning starts" with viscosity, but I don't believe this is always true.

Why?

Well, it was about 25-30F here in the morning a few weeks ago, and I'm running Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40...that's right, 15w-40 in a passenger-car gas engine, and I get absolutely no startup noise!

Usually, unless you're dealing with a "hard part" mechanical issue, you need to look at the oils additive package and the oil filter itself.

You have to remember that on cold startup, not much if any fluid film resides in the top end of the engine, making the additives in the oil provide the protection that is needed. A weak additive package could result in weak protection at startup.

Second, and I've had this problem before...a bad oil filter. I just recently had a filter that I feel had a intermitingly fuctioning anti drainback valve...sometimes, you'd start up the car, and no noise. Next time you'd go out, and you'd have the dreaded "tick-tick-tick" for awhile. Switched to a different filter with the same oil and have had no noise issues at all.

You know how the last oil peformed with a K&N filter, so I'd first suggest switching back to this filter, as to give you a "baseline" comparison between the two oils. If the noise still remains, I'd strongly suggest switching to a different oil that can offer the barrier/boundary lube additive package you need to provide the protection you need on cold starts.

[ February 17, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

You have to remember that on cold startup, not much if any fluid film resides in the top end of the engine, making the additives in the oil provide the protection that is needed.

Schaeffer's "Penetro" keeps a film on metal surfaces.I believe Royal Purple "Synerlec" is about the same thing.
Both have robust add packs.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

You have to remember that on cold startup, not much if any fluid film resides in the top end of the engine, making the additives in the oil provide the protection that is needed.

Schaeffer's "Penetro" keeps a film on metal surfaces.I believe Royal Purple "Synerlec" is about the same thing.
Both have robust add packs.

Mark

Does any one know if Swepco's Dimonyl is along the same idea/add pack..??
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back