Switched 12v to trailer harness?

JHZR2

Staff member
Ive been going through wiring in my truck, and found two 12v sources from my battery to a round plug on the rear. One is switched, the other is constant on. The truck has a circular connector, not the four SAE pin connector I’m used to. The truck does have an aftermarket brake controller...

But why a switched 12V? I kind of get if a 12v source was desired, but switched? Is that just best practice for some reason?

It doesn’t much matter, just found it curious. It is an illuminated switch too, fwiw, so I guess there was interest in being reminded that it was hot.

I get it that it could really be from all sorts of things, but is there a common rationale why this would be done? I’m just not familiar with trailer wiring beyond the simple four pin harness.

You need to charge the battery that powers the brakes during break-away. If it were up to me to design it, I'd use switched power.

Two 12v power sources in the trailer connector is not standard. Is it wired like this?
FC2A49AA-F0EA-441E-9607-A38A78230310.png

If it was switched I could see that it might be switched with respect to charging the battery for electric brakes. But for a camping trailer maybe unswitched.

Could for electric winch on truck or on a boat trailer.

If it was switched I could see that it might be switched with respect to charging the battery for electric brakes. But for a camping trailer maybe unswitched.

Could for electric winch on truck or on a boat trailer.

The wiring is pretty small, like 12ga, so I don’t think it would be for a winch. I can see wanting to limit the battery charging.

Both my trucks with factory hitches use the switched lead so that the trailer doesn’t accidentally drain the battery. Also, if it was unswitched and the starter battery went dead, it would potentially pull big amps through the small trailer wiring, not good. I’m not aware of a case where unswitched would be used.

Back