Switchback to Dino, Need Your Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my daughter has decided to move to California and will be taking my old (hers now) 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier across country to get there. It will roll past 200,000 miles on the trip. There are no mechanical problems with the car at all except for the catalytic converter that I will change next month.

The engine has had a steady diet of Mobil 1 5w30 up until 20,000 miles ago when I went to 0W40 for it. I have been paying for, and doing, maintenance for her. Hey, that is what Dad’s do, right? I am thinking that there is no way she will fork out the $ for synthetic when she is in California, so I might as well save my 0W40 stash and switch her over to dino now before the trip. I am thinking Mobil Super 5000 will work fine for her.

It doesn’t burn any oil to speak of. Sometimes at 5000 miles I’ll add a 1/4 to 1/2 quart makeup oil. As the engine is near 200k, do you think I should use 10W30 dino or stay with the 40 weight and go with 10W40 dino?

Thanks!

10w30. Protects well and much more accessible. Why not conventional 5w30? I really like the additive pack in QS and PYB compared to the Mobil conventional addy pack. QSGB is the way to go...100+ppm moly and 100+ ppm boron.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
10w30. Protects well and much more accessible. Why not conventional 5w30? I really like the additive pack in QS and PYB compared to the Mobil conventional addy pack. QSGB is the way to go...100+ppm moly and 100+ ppm boron.

+1!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

+2

Served my old cavalier very well...

So going back to dino 10w30 seems to be the majority opinion. Very interesting. I suppose that is what I will do then. Thanks for the feedback.

Might as well switch it to whatever the current bulk is at WalMart. You know thats what it will get.

I think it was Castrol GTX here last I looked. Im not sure if its the same in Cali.

Last edited:
5w30 Mobil Super 5000. I'm really like this oil. Seems to give a little more fuel mileage and the engine runs as smooth as with the Pennzoil Platinum. Oil consumption is also down from PP.

For the record, I drained the Mobil 1 0W-40 (had 10k on it) out of it this weekend and replaced it with Mobil 1 10W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back