Switch to Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jkasch
I've read numerous accounts of folks switching to synthetic on high mileage vehicles and then developing leaks around seals that supposedly gotten cleaned up.

I've been running conventional 30wt in a 23hp B&S Intek v-twin for about 11 seasons (Michigan/half acre) . Do you think a switch to synth would likely result in a leak?

Oil and filter have been changed each spring. Thanks for opinions.

If you have a Briggs Intek and an oil leak is your only problem, consider yourself blessed. The Inteks are one of their most problematic engines made. I would switch to a synthetic in every Briggs you own as they run ungodly hot and truly would benefit from the better protection.

That's what I'm leaning towards. Last summer was the first time it used a little oil. I was thinking it might slow the wear process a bit. I was wondering if anyone had done it and developed a leak in a lawn tractor.

Yes. I do about 300 oil changes a year on power equipment for customers. Some people bring in a newly acquired 1970 Snapper model (or similar older equipment) and request that I use synthetic. I advise against it, but they insist. And then they invariable call me 3 weeks later that the oil is leaking all over the motor/garage floor and the engine is smoking. Change it back to conventional SAE30 and all is well.

This isn't a wives tail. I've seen it time and time again with my own eyes. Some older engines are just not a good match with synthetic.

I stick with conventional oil on older equipment, especially if maintenance history is unknown. Use synthetic for newer equipment with a known maintenance history.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
That's what I'm leaning towards. Last summer was the first time it used a little oil. I was thinking it might slow the wear process a bit. I was wondering if anyone had done it and developed a leak in a lawn tractor.

Yes. I do about 300 oil changes a year on power equipment for customers. Some people bring in a newly acquired 1970 Snapper model (or similar older equipment) and request that I use synthetic. I advise against it, but they insist. And then they invariable call me 3 weeks later that the oil is leaking all over the motor/garage floor and the engine is smoking. Change it back to conventional SAE30 and all is well.

This isn't a wives tail. I've seen it time and time again with my own eyes. Some older engines are just not a good match with synthetic.

I stick with conventional oil on older equipment, especially if maintenance history is unknown. Use synthetic for newer equipment with a known maintenance history.

Thanks. I'm thinking if I'm lucky to have an Intek that's been problem free for 11 years and it only used about 2oz. of oil in it's eleventh season, then I'll stick to what got me here. It's a lot hotter in Fla. than MI.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've always felt that engines leaking synthetic oil are due to a combination of older type seals and the early PAO synthetic formulations. Both are better now and leaking has become fairly rare.

bubbatime, it would be interesting if you had some hard numbers to back up your claim. Maybe the leaking engines stick out better in your memory? Consider keeping track from now on? I know it's seriously OCD .. but it would be a BITOGian thing to do and we'd all like to see how common this really is.
smile.gif

jkasch, I'm surprised you have stuck with a straight weight as far north as you have. I would have switched to a 10W30 (synthetic or mineral oil) at the first change.

Consider a 10W30 HDEO like Shell Rotella:

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t5.html

Or a high mileage synthetic like Max Life High Mileage Full Synthetic 10W30 which specifically protects against leaking.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/high-mileage-motor-oil/3

As a matter of fact, I just scored 5 quarts (in quart bottles) of this stuff at Walmart for $2 per quart. I think it'll be going in my S2000 next oil change.

The synthetic isn't "causing" leaks directly, it's cleaning out old deposits that have plugged seals and gaskets that are compromised. It's exposing leaks that are already there, but hidden with the use of conventional oil. The superior detergents and additives in the synthetic are cleaning out the engine and indirectly causing the leaks. Definitely true that oil leaks can therefore start after switching in an old engine.

I switched a 350hr 19hp Kohler that has full pressure lubrication from 10w-30 conventional to Rotella T5 10w-30 and it did not develop any leaks.

I say try T5 and see how it likes it. It's a very good oil for OPE applications.

Originally Posted By: Throt
18.gif

Use synthetic and live.

Assuming one changes their oil regularly, how will the OPE engine know the difference between conventional and synthetic?

Unless it gives you the warm fuzzies and makes you feel alive?
smile.gif

I have tried synthetics in my two stroke Lawn Boys and after a couple of mows noticed oil began slowly weeping from a gasket that was formerly dry when using natural petroleum oil. Another thing I noticed was an unusual squeaking sound that developed, coming from the crankshaft seals when the engine was slowly rotated by hand.It didn't do any damage but I never heard anything like that before. I think synthetics are excellent oils but there are issues when using them in older engines both 4 stroke and 2 stroke.

Originally Posted By: catdiesel

The synthetic isn't "causing" leaks directly, it's cleaning out old deposits that have plugged seals and gaskets that are compromised. It's exposing leaks that are already there, but hidden with the use of conventional oil. The superior detergents and additives in the synthetic are cleaning out the engine and indirectly causing the leaks. Definitely true that oil leaks can therefore start after switching in an old engine.

Raise your hand if you've ever personally seen honest to goodness sludge in an OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back