Switch to synthetic tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of my vehicles are due for tranny service, 00 Explorer V8 and 01 Pont. Grand Prix GT. Dropping the pan and changing the fluid, should I go to an all synth w/ 30,000 mile service interval or is non-synth fluid just fine?

If you are going to just drop the pan and change out what fluid readily comes out without any type of flushing, I would just use a quality non-synthetic fluid for this frequent of service. There are some fluids that meet both the Dex III and MerconV specs, if that simplifies things for you. I personally think that the transmission "filters" can go a lot longer than this, like 60k or 90k miles, but go with what the manufacturer says and you feel comfortable with.

I have practiced 100k mile or longer complete drain/flush with all my automatics, and have been able to do this easily by using a large aux. cooler and full synthetic fluid. Usually the fluid looks and smells nearly new still at this mileage, even with towing and mountains and hot weather here. It's just another way to do things and works for me as I service many vehicles and it saves time and money. I have never had a transmission repaired or rebuilt, or retired a vehicle due to a transmission problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back