Switch to M1 Truck/SUV or Stick with Chevron HM 10w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't done any used oil analysis yet on my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8. I've got 98,600 miles on her so far running Chevron High Mileage (first oil change with this stuff). Previous oil changes, Chevron supreme 10w-30 was uses. Lately I've been thinking about switching to M1 Truck/SUV 5w-40 just for maximum protection since I drive the hel* out of my Jeep. I know it's hard to tell someone that a particular oil will be fine without a used oil analysis, but do you guys think that this oil should be ok or will it be a little to thin to begin with? Anybody run this stuff in higher mileage vehicles or in dodge magnum engines? I did an Auto-RX treatment about 9,000 miles ago.

M1 Truck & SUV was the same as Mobil Delvac 1. I have seen one recent VOA that suggests some tweaking may be going on. It is a very well built oil.

I think you may have a misconception of what the W rating means on a oil. It means the relative viscosity at 32&#186F (O&#186C) compared to a reference straight weight oil. All oils are thicker when cold than hot.

Why are you concerned the oil would be to thin at 32&#186F? At 104&#186F (40&#186C) it is thicker than the 10W-30. Being thinner at 32F than 10W-30 would be a good thing not bad.

Chevron HM 10W-30 - 83.1 cSt @ 104&#186F (40&#186C)
Mobil Truck & SUV 5W-40 - 102 cSt @ 104&#186F

Gene

[ July 10, 2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

So do you think this oil may be too thick on initial cold startup; cold start up as in letting the car sit overnight since we dont really have cold winters to begin with in Southern Cali.

If you want a high quality oil with a Primarily Group IV PAO Synthetic Base + A New High Quality Group V POE developed by Exxon and a very robust additive package this oil should work well from -22&#186F to 140&#186F if it is conductive with your engines design.

It is generally considered one of the best built oils on the market.

BTW it is considered one of the better choices for the Jeep 2.5L OHV, 4.0L, and 4.2L engines as well.

It will also go longer drains than typical Passenger Car Motor Oils (PCMO). I would leave it in at least 10,000 mi or 1 year but I would do a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) at 5000 mi just to confirm it.

If you want a lower cost alternative for a little shorter drains there is always Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 for about $6.00 gal since you dont have really cold weather there.

For in between the two in price and performance there is Shell Rotella T Synthetic (Group III) for about $12.00 a gal.

BTW the Chevron Supreme is one of the best 10W30 Dino PCMO on the market and I would not be suprised if the HM isnt very good too. I just happen to like the HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil) in engines that like heavier weights.

Gene

[ July 10, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

I still can't find Mobil Truck&SUV!!!
I've found Castrol Start-Up though......but only in 10W-30 flavor.

Assuming you have checked WalMart for T&S and also the local Truck Supply places for Delvac 1 there is always the local CAT dealer for CAT Synthetic in the Silver Jug (rebranded Delvac 1).

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back