Switch back to M1 EP from PUP?

Hello,
Maxima 3.5L 2009 94k miles. Regular oil changes every 4k miles from previous owner (all documented) with Nissan oil at the dealer (syn blend?).
Got the car at 80k miles. Used M1 EP 5w30 for the first oil change (4k OCI) never noticed lower level on dipstick.
Tried Amsoil SS then in 5k switched to PUP for the last 2 OCIs (3k to 4k each). Town and suburban driving mostly.

Started to see around 3/8 quarts loss on disptick every 2k miles. But engine definitely was quieter on Pennzoil.
Car engine bay is meticulous and bone dry. Never a leak anywhere.

You advice to switch back to M1 EP 5w30? I'm afraid I'll loose the quietness and smoothness of Pennzoil.

I have an OEM PCV sitting in my drawer, thought about that too. Didn't change it yet.

Please share your thoughts

Last edited:
I think switching back is a good idea, you'll probably reduce consumption, and in every engine I ever ran Mobil 1 in I never had any "noise" issues. YMMV. If you have a new OE PCV valve laying around, use it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I think switching back is a good idea, you'll probably reduce consumption, and in every engine I ever ran Mobil 1 in I never had any "noise" issues. YMMV. If you have a new OE PCV valve laying around, use it.

Same. My Corvette burns no oil with Mobil 1 or Motul, but does with Pennzoil.

My MID-PRICED favorites for GDI MPI are Pennzoil Ultra, Valvoline Modern or Advanced and Mobil-1 EP.
3/8ths of a quart loss every 2K is pretty good, considering you bought it used at 80k.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
My MID-PRICED favorites for GDI MPI are Pennzoil Ultra, Valvoline Modern or Advanced and Mobil-1 EP.
3/8ths of a quart loss every 2K is pretty good, considering you bought it used at 80k.

How is that "pretty good" when the car didn't burn any oil with M1?

I misread the post..... plus many used, 80k rides use a little oil when changing brands. Sometimes only one.... but maybe as long as 2-3 OCIs.

But I would be raising eyebrows also after two OCIs... and asking questions. Sometimes the PUP may jusrt be doing a little better cleaning - thus using a little more until clean(ER).

You and I aren't there to witness what the old oil looks like - in comparison to the others he's drained since he purchased it.

OP should know if the PUP is working...... not you or I. Mahan seems a logical thinker. He will figure it out. Every time I switched to Mobil1, I used more, like OP here. It's all part of giving the engine an oil that works in different, positive ways than the last. I still buy Mobil-1. Why, I know it's good. So is PUP.

Last edited:
Been using Mobil I since 1978 and have never once had to add oil between oil changes.Never had to have an extra quart of Mobil I around to add oil.Worked for me for over forty years.

Originally Posted by Ram02
It's pennzoil low flash point could be the blame with the oil burning. I also switch my cars from pennzoil back to mobil 1

Bingo. I'd like to see the differences.

It's pennzoil low flash point could be the blame with the oil burning. I also switch my cars from pennzoil back to mobil 1

203c vs 230c, you're right about that.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem

203c vs 230c, you're right about that.

IMO the move from SM to SN PU cheapened the product, and the quality suffered as a result. I used it for quite a few years, I changed back to Mobil 1 as a result of my reading and observations. It's still a good oil, but imo there are better choices.

IMO the move from SM to SN PU cheapened the product, and the quality suffered as a result. I used it for quite a few years, I changed back to Mobil 1 as a result of my reading and observations. It's still a good oil, but imo there are better choices.

The specific data, please, demar, as to exactly HOW SOPUS "cheapened the product?"

Originally Posted by mahanddeem

...............Please share your thoughts

Your longest OCI was 5,000 miles.

Between the Amsoil SSO and the "quiet and smooth" PUP, you likely cleaned out some krap in the engine.

At your mileage and the fact you have yet to exceed a 5k OCI, go to Walmart and buy some Supertech 5w-30 and try that for two OCIs.

It's a quality full syn and 5k is easy for that oil.

I have never used any M-1 product that was quiet or smooth.

You have a lot of oil options for 5k OCIs.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Such smooth and quiet nonsense is becoming more and more prevalent on this site

You need to join the Smooth & Quiet Crowd. There's a meeting on Lacking Sense, this Thursday at 8:00PM. Prevalent Seating will be available.

The smoothest and quietest M1 in my experience were M1 0W-30 and 10W-30, then 0W-40 and the HM line was the best. Just adding to OCD variable matrix
smile.gif

Sriously, I am impressed by how smooth the 0W-30 is.

Originally Posted by dkryan

The specific data, please, demar, as to exactly HOW SOPUS "cheapened the product?"

I wrote "IMO," it was my opinion, opinions are often based on research and observations from using a product, not always "specific data." Check out the specs, NOACK etc, of the SM version and compare it to the SN version, then let me know what your opinion is. Many members here shared the same POV at the time. It is currently my opinion Mobil 1 ESP is a better product, and why I am using it at the moment. If/when my opinion and observations change again I might try something else.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Been using Mobil I since 1978 and have never once had to add oil between oil changes.Never had to have an extra quart of Mobil I around to add oil.Worked for me for over forty years.

This has been my experience with my 2007 Tacoma. I've done every oil change, with some flavor of M1 5W-30, since I bought it new, 13 years ago this month. The truck has not had any other type of oil since I did the first change at 3000 miles.

Now has 229,5xx miles and no oil usage between changes on 10,000-mile OCIs. I've had it on M1-EP 5W-30 since around 75,000 miles.

Would I have achieved the same result with some other synthetic? Or even conventional with frequent changes? I don't know. But I can say that the M1 has worked very well in my case.

I will say, also, that, during the 3 years and 40,000+ miles that I owned my 2016 WRX, I also never experienced significant oil usage in that car, either, and I used Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 exclusively, at 5-6K intervals.

Last edited:

Which ASTM test? D92 or D93?

Back