Swepco oil..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:
Well after a long pause on this thread...
I am still considering this oil once I run out of my current stock pile in the cabinet...
wink.gif

Their web site says it's a
"High VI solvent extracted paraffinic base stocks "

parraffinic as in wax.. probably not the same as used for jelly preserves...
rolleyes.gif

But can it leed to build-up (sludge)..
confused.gif

Thanks
Jean

No. Paraffin based oil has nothing to do with paraffin wax nor sludge. In fact, of the two types of petroleum base oil, paraffinic or napthenic, the paraffinic (or paraffin) based oil will oxidize at a much slower rate. Oxidation creates sludge.

Most oil base stock is a mixture of paraffin and napthenic oils. Paraffin oils are better because of their resistance to oxidation and higher viscosity index...napthenic oils are more plentify. Napthenic crude yields more fuel than paraffinic crude, and most crude oils are a misture of both napthenic and paraffinic oils, so the big oil companies end up with napthenic base oils. The best petroleum base oil is 100% paraffin base.

Ken

[ July 10, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

OK Folks...
Here are my first impressions/-seat of my pants-observations on the Swepco (mostly)5W30. So far its been >500km and 10 days. The engine is running quieter at any cruising speed, all I hear is wind/road noise. Start up is quick and the rough idle is gone. Fuel consumption seems to be a tad better (gas gauge), I will have hard numbers after a few fill-ups.
As for the piston slap.....
It has changed......
It is now clear, clean, crisp, somewhat like well tune castanets....I've never heard so well...

Obervation #2
Started the van yesterday AM, temp was 8*C, initially was quite for the first 5+ seconds, then the piston slap begins, and is present at almost every start-up during the day. Compared to M1 the piston slap starts, then disipates fairly quickly and does not return until the next mornings cold start. - Advantage M1
I am inclined to believe that this oil has good merit, but not for the GM3.4L. Maybe for the Acura.
As some members here have said "some oils are better suited for particular engines.."
Any comment welcome..

Stay tuned for more info.
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back