Swepco oil..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all...
First time poster with this site and very happy to find a forum devoted to engine oil. So glad to see I'm not the only rententive guy about oil...
grin.gif

After a quick search in the forum, I did not see an topics about swepco oils..
One of the local speed shop sells this paraffin based oil called Swepco.

http://swepcousa.com/lubesite/oil.htm
I placed the appropriate page for you-dragboat

Has anyone ever used it..??
Thanks
Jean

[ December 25, 2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Just saw your post. Sorry no one has welcomed you to the forum already.
welcome.gif

I've never heard of Swepco oil. Are you currently using it?

Southwesten Petroleum has been around for many years. They are a speciality oil company based in Ft.Worth. They mainly make lubricants for the industrial trade, but they do make some fine automotive and heavy duty truck lubricants. You could put them in the catagory with Schaffer's, but they not as well known, except in Texas. They are a very friendly company to do business with and will answer most of your questions with a phone call. I had a lot of friends that used their oils in sprint car racing back in the 70's and 80's.

I looked over their web page and they offer no technical data on their products other than to state that they contain "Dimonyl".

I've never heard of them either,, but I'd never heard of Schaeffer's until Bob came along. Now I use a few of the Schaeffer's products and love them. Maybe someone will buy a few quarts and do a analysis.
wink.gif

[ December 25, 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:
Just saw your post. Sorry no one has welcomed you to the forum already.
welcome.gif

I've never heard of Swepco oil. Are you currently using it?

Hello and Thank-you

I am not using it yet.. I plan to try it this spring on the family work-horse...'98 Pontiac Transsport 3.4lt with 85k on it so far.
A local speed shop carries it and swears by it.
So I will see how it is soon and start with gaz mileage.
J

A little FYI..
Since we are getting closer to the spring time maintenance. I checked with that speed shop that sells Swepco. I knew Swepco has an oil analysis program, so I asked if they participated to this.
"yes, we sell the you the kit and you send it off to Swepco" ..-How much - I asked expecting 20-30.00 range. " its 6.00 bucks"
gr_eek2.gif
($CDN$) " but they will only test their oil though"....

HMMMM a BIG + for Swepco.
Jean

Did you ask them what that $6 analysis would give you though? I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the bare minimum wear metals and additives only, definitely no TBN or oxidation/nitration, and maybe not even viscosity.

Although a $6 bare minimum analysis is better than none at all I guess.
smile.gif

Western Carolina Regional Sewer Authority in Greenville, SC uses Swepco in their tractors and fleet vehicles. G-Man II might know someone there? I know the purchasing mgr. there and I'll inquire if they do any O/A on the vehicle fleet, and if so will he give me an analysis to post.

all of the porsche and vw people swear by swepco tranny oil, they say it makes the tranny shift real nice. i never used it in my tranny tho.

never knew they made motor oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Did you ask them what that $6 analysis would give you though? I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the bare minimum wear metals and additives only, definitely no TBN or oxidation/nitration, and maybe not even viscosity.

Although a $6 bare minimum analysis is better than none at all I guess.
smile.gif

Hi Patman..
Check this out... http://swepcousa.com/lubesite/loa.htm and click on the acroread file on the left. There you will find an example of an analysis. Let me know what you think.
Jean

If that's the exact report they will be giving you (and not an upgraded version that would cost you more money to get) then that's very good for $6! I see it has oxidation and nitration, and viscosity too, plus fuel, water and glycol in %, very nice!

Well after a long pause on this thread...
I am still considering this oil once I run out of my current stock pile in the cabinet...
wink.gif

Their web site says it's a
"High VI solvent extracted paraffinic base stocks "

parraffinic as in wax.. probably not the same as used for jelly preserves...
rolleyes.gif

But can it leed to build-up (sludge)..
confused.gif

Thanks
Jean

The web site says that the oil analysis is only for their customers.....I am assuming analysing their oils only. I don't know about that????????? Seems to me, It would be too easy to doctor the reports for their own products. But then again, what do I know.

Correct.. they analyse thier oil only.. for a darn good price also...(even with CDN Pesos...
grin.gif
) but I cant see why a company would risk thier reputation on bogus analysis...

Jean

[ July 09, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: 2K2AcuraTL ]

If I were going to use their oil and analysis on a regular basis, I would probably send a sample to them and to another lab the first time, just to see the results from each. If they match then great. Sorry....but I don't trust very many corporations anymore.

Indeed..fair enough...

...Has anyone used this oil and what were your observations/conclusions...worth the price...??
Here its a little more than M1 or about the same as RP.
J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back