Sweet tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Since Ive ben down in AL for work, Ive taken a real liking to sweet tea. Sure the sugar intake isnt that good for me, but I dont drink it that much... all the same, I really enjoy it.

One place Ivebeen to has it really good - not too sweet, with good tea flavor, but with a lot of fragerance and extra flavors in there. Almost like a jasmine tea, but far more fragrant and flavourful.

So, what is your recipe for sweet tea (i.e. how much sugar
wink.gif
), and what kind of tea do you use???

Thanks!

JMH

Try the Indian Masala chai, lots of sugar and milk, almost a dessert, instead of sugar, switch to Stevia or Fructose.

JHZR2,

I moved to and lived in Huntsville, Alabama for six years, learned to make tea like they do in Bama land...

Heat up a sauce pan of water (deep pan), like a two quart size sauce pan(?).

Get the water to almost boiling but not boiling,
turn off burner, drop four tea bags in and let it seep for a few minutes.
Add one half to one cup of sugar, I prefered 3/4 cup of sugar to the tea,
pour the tea into a pitcher and add water,
great tea none of that fake stuff
nono.gif

I learn to love real iced tea in Bama
grin.gif

sort of
offtopic.gif

So, what do you think of the Southern Belles in War Eagle land?
smile.gif

When I first moved there, I thought all of the ladies were flirting with me, then realized they treat people different here
wink.gif

If it ain't Lipton,or Luzianne it ain't Southern Tea! Lipton is marginaly better for quick consumption, Luzianne will keep for a week without getting overly cloudy.

Since quitting smoking last Thanksgiving and gaining more pounds than I care for I've been using 1/8 cup sugar with 1 cup of Splenda per gallon not quite right, but it ain't too bad.

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:

So, what do you think of the Southern Belles in War Eagle land?
smile.gif

When I first moved there, I thought all of the ladies were flirting with me, then realized they treat people different here
wink.gif

Its nice to people watch
wink.gif
However here there are a lot of stuck-ups too! The vehicle of choice for the guys is a jacked up (new) diesel 2500 silverado crew cab short bed, and for the girls any variety of 2-dr German make.

Doesnt distract me from watching the blondes in their skimpy clothes
wink.gif

People are very friendly, courteous, and Ive enjoyed my time down here a lot.

JMH

As a lifelong Southern boy, I can vouch for the fact that virtually all "real" iced tea is made from Lipton's, Luzianne, or in Oklahoma, Cain's.
wink.gif
Sorry folks, but that foo-foo stuff just won't play down here.

I am a bit strange though- since about age 12, I strongly prefer my iced tea *UN*sweetened!
grin.gif
No sugar for me, thanks. And these days I drink mostly water, iced tea only rarely. Used to drink it by the gallon.

I think you guys are mixing apples and oranges.

Chai is good but a whole different animal.

My favorite cold iced tea type drink is Thai style.

I don't like the stuff with the "pearls" at the bottom. Vietnamese?

I'm off caffiene for good, so sun brewed green/black decaf is pretty darn good!!

oooh, bubble tea - I like that with taro... especially blended up as a milkshake with the tapioca in the bottom!

How do you 'sun brew' your tea???

JMH

I don't like lumps in my drinks...(I actually like tapioca)

Sun tea? Nothing easier. Just get a big, clean glass jar and huck some pure water and tea bags of your choice in (no steel staples). "Brew" in direct sun for a few hours (brews quick, really) - save power. Chill, pour over ice. Sweeten if you like.......gewd!

I get a lot of sun on the back deck.. Im sure I can make up a few gallons of the stuff out there!

I dont know if Id want glued teabags, as compared to stapled ones... seems to me that the glued ones would have a higher chance of leaching who knows what into the liquid.

Steel staples, and you get maninly iron leachate... glue... who knows what junk is in that.

Ill likely use leaf tea anyway...

JMH

quote:

My favorite cold iced tea type drink is Thai style.

Sorry, Pablo, but that's yucky. It's like molasses.
tongue.gif

I love black tea, mostly Royal Darjeeling and Assam. I drink my tea strong, possibly with a milk and very little sugar hot. I never add lemon. I loathe lemon flavor in my tea! I also like green tea, which I drink only plain.

I like plain black tea as iced tea without any sugar or lemon. I like my iced tea strong and very tart. If my tongue doesn't feel velvety, it's not good iced tea!
tongue.gif

Cold green tea, or barley "tea" is good, too. Also plain.

So mori I can assume you take your molasses sans lumps
wink.gif
I should have said I used to like Thai, but it's caffeine laden. And I usually don't like any sweetener either. Green tea needs nothing.

JH - yes loose is best. I was referring to the woven/pressed tea bags, certainly not the glued kind which along with staples should be avoided. Dunno what kind of glue they use.

I dont think Ive ever seen woven/pressed tea bags...

Not that Ive ever really shopped for them.

Thanks,

JMH

I just bought a bunch of different types from choice organic teas... I look forward to getting them!

JMH

White Tea - Classic White Peony
Premium Japanese Green Tea
Asian Blend Green Tea
Jasmine Green Tea
Decaf Mango Ceylon
Chai Spice Black Tea

Cant wait!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back