Sweet smelling add package?

Hi all

I'm dying to know what gives certain oils, mostly water-white and zinc-free oils like chevron clarity hydraulic oil it's pleasant sweet smell?

Esters? I've smelled some that have a wine like smell and I'm not talking about that imitation grape smell that is added by some.

If you want to smell an odd scented oil, smell some of the old SJ rated Synerlec RP. It has that rubbery ATF smell. I still have a half quart of the 20W50.

I'm asking not because I want a nice smelling dipstick, I work in a CNC machine shop and we use neat/straight cutting oils and hydraulic oils. The smell is not contained to a somewhat sealed tank, the who shop can smell like the oil.

Esters? I've smelled some that have a wine like smell and I'm not talking about that imitation grape smell that is added by some.
Like a white wine?

There is a particular ashless and light colored AW/AO additive, some sort of alykl phosphate (not metal containing like ZDDP) is in the products I know have this sweet smell, I just haven't been able to pin down the chemistry for sure.

Ingersoll Rand Ultra Coolant for their screw compressors smells like coconut. Some of the Sullair oils have a similar smell.

I'm asking not because I want a nice smelling dipstick, I work in a CNC machine shop and we use neat/straight cutting oils and hydraulic oils. The smell is not contained to a somewhat sealed tank, the who shop can smell like the oil.

As far as cutting oils yeah a lot of odd ball smells we add a mask to the real bad smelling ones, like the old style sulfur based screw machine oils.

LOL there is some gun oil made from coconuts thats smells like wintergreen. I use a #1 grease sometimes mixed with a little 90wt.

Hi all

I'm dying to know what gives certain oils, mostly water-white and zinc-free oils like chevron clarity hydraulic oil it's pleasant sweet smell?

I've always been curious about this as well.
When i was younger i worked in a shop where we drew coils of wire through a die reducing the size from like 3/4 down to 3/8.. essentially making a strong metal rod in the process. The lube that saturated the die was nearly irresistible, it smelled just like butterscotch and looked like it too.

Many years ago the company I worked for formulated a synthetic ester based reciprocating aircraft engine oil. It had a great smell, some people called it nutty and sweet. The formula had almost nothing in it especially anything that could contribute to ash. One day after 5:00 pm we got a call from a guy who said that he was changing oil and using ours. He said he actually took a swig because it smelled so good!. Afraid of what might happen he called us. Our poison control guy told him not to worry. It was non-toxic and he recommended that the guy stay around "home base" for a day or two.

As far as odors, some mineral oils can smell a little fuel oily. Esters can have all sorts of smells from no odor to sweet to sour to fishy and vomit-like. There are a lot of odor masking agents that will cover the odor of some oils. You can get smells like banana, bubble gum, hospital clean, and many others.

Back