Sweet smelling add package?

Hi all

I'm dying to know what gives certain oils, mostly water-white and zinc-free oils like chevron clarity hydraulic oil it's pleasant sweet smell?

Esters? I've smelled some that have a wine like smell and I'm not talking about that imitation grape smell that is added by some.

If you want to smell an odd scented oil, smell some of the old SJ rated Synerlec RP. It has that rubbery ATF smell. I still have a half quart of the 20W50.

PapaSquat1

I'm asking not because I want a nice smelling dipstick, I work in a CNC machine shop and we use neat/straight cutting oils and hydraulic oils. The smell is not contained to a somewhat sealed tank, the who shop can smell like the oil.

PapaSquat1

Esters? I've smelled some that have a wine like smell and I'm not talking about that imitation grape smell that is added by some.
Like a white wine?

There is a particular ashless and light colored AW/AO additive, some sort of alykl phosphate (not metal containing like ZDDP) is in the products I know have this sweet smell, I just haven't been able to pin down the chemistry for sure.

I'm asking not because I want a nice smelling dipstick, I work in a CNC machine shop and we use neat/straight cutting oils and hydraulic oils. The smell is not contained to a somewhat sealed tank, the who shop can smell like the oil.

As far as cutting oils yeah a lot of odd ball smells we add a mask to the real bad smelling ones, like the old style sulfur based screw machine oils.