Sweet corn anyone

This years sweet corn is the best I've had in a few years. I pulled this off the grill a tad early.
IMG_20200726_183310854.jpg

I grew up on a farm in Iowa, where the sweet corn is even better than Nebraska sweet corn. 🤣 Can't wait to get home to try some.

MOST corn is GMO!! chemically altered to withstand swimming in ROUNDUP aka ROUNDUP ready, never eat unless its organic + being a starch its like sugar adding to weight control issues with MANY overweight + OBESE people!!!!

I grew up , until the 6th grade , on a farm . Dad planted field corn . We ate corn on the cob , Mother cut it off the cob and canned it , and the remainder of the corn was fed to the chickens .

I am not trying to top your post about corn, and I do not have access to corn like I experienced when I was a kid.

Maybe someone will use this information to hold a similar corn roast.

When I was a kid my dad was a member of the Clariton Sportsman Club (a gun club that had indoor, and outdoor shooting ranges including a skeet field) THAT ALSO HAD A FIELD OF SWEET CORN.

They would have a corn roast every summer and they had a 55 gallon drum turned sideways and with bars on the center of what is normally the top, and the bottom. That sat on big stakes driven into the ground with several J pieces welded to it so they could select what height they wanted to have the drum at. The 55 gallon drum had a door on what normally was the side.

They would pick the corn and load it into the drum within hours of being picked with it still in the husk. Then 4 men would pick up the drum (2 on each bar) and put it on the the J pieces on the stakes with a wood fire in-between the stakes. The bars of the drum had a way to put a long bar with a crank on it and the men would take turns cranking it until the corn was cooked.

They also had tables with pots of melted butter and small butter brushes (about the size of a 1 inch wide paint brush) in the pots to apply the melted butter, and salt shakers.

The members were allowed to bring their family and a family of one of their friends. Because many of the people had not been at the gun-club before, in-order to maintain safety they had wood polls in the ground with rope between them to keep the crowd away from the fire and barrel. When the corn was cooked they would take the barrel off the fire, and unload it by dumping it on the ground in an area where the crowd would later be allowed to come in to.

After if was unloaded and the barrel moved to where they reloaded it with corn, the crowd was allowed to come into the area where the corn was on the ground in two lines (one on each side of the dumped corn) and after they picked up their corn they moved on to an area outside of the roped area with two lines of pick-nick tables where they put butter and salt on the corn.

That corn was soooo good that after eating some everyone wanted seconds, and for the following batches the crowd was against the ropes waiting for access to the dumped corn each time a new batch was dumped. It was really smart of the club to have strong polls with strong rope because that crowd really was pushing against the rope waiting for access to each new dump of corn.

It was literally the best corn I ever tasted in my life.

Some of my cousins were members of the family my dad invited, and over the years sometimes they commented that they remember how good that corn was.

Last edited:
I am not trying to top your post about corn, and I do not have access to corn like I experienced when I was a kid.

Maybe someone will use this information to hold a similar corn roast.

When I was a kid my dad was a member of the Clariton Sportsman Club (a gun club that had indoor, and outdoor shooting ranges including a skeet field) THAT ALSO HAD A FIELD OF SWEET CORN.

They would have a corn roast every summer and they had a 55 gallon drum turned sideways and with bars on the center of what is normally the top, and the bottom. That sat on big stakes driven into the ground with several J pieces welded to it so they could select what height they wanted to have the drum at. The 55 gallon drum had a door on what normally was the side.

They would pick the corn and load it into the drum within hours of being picked with it still in the husk. Then 4 men would pick up the drum (2 on each bar) and put it on the the J pieces on the stakes with a wood fire in-between the stakes. The bars of the drum had a way to put a long bar with a crank on it and the men would take turns cranking it until the corn was cooked.

They also had tables with pots of melted butter and small butter brushes (about the size of a 1 inch wide paint brush) in the pots to apply the melted butter, and salt shakers.

The members were allowed to bring their family and a family of one of their friends. Because many of the people had not been at the gun-club before, in-order to maintain safety they had wood polls in the ground with rope between them to keep the crowd away from the fire and barrel. When the corn was cooked they would take the barrel off the fire, and unload it by dumping it on the ground in an area where the crowd would later to allowed to come to in two lines (one on each side of the corn).

After if was unloaded and the barrel moved to where they reloaded it with corn, the crowd was allowed to come into the area where the corn was on the ground in two lines (one on each side of the dumped corn) and after they picked up their corn they moved on to an area outside of the roped area with two lines of pick-nick tables where they put butter and salt on the corn.

That corn was soooo good that after eating some everyone wanted seconds, and for the following batches the crowd was against the ropes waiting for access to the dumped corn each time a new batch was dumped. It was really smart of the club to have strong polls with strong rope because that crowd really was pushing against the rope waiting for access to each new dump of corn.

It was literally the best corn I ever tasted in my life.

Some of my cousins were members of the family my dad invited and over the years sometimes they commented that they remember how good that corn was.
I have had corn cooked on a grill in the husk, it's the easiest way to feed corn on the cob to a crowd. I worked for a guy that had a side business roasting hogs on weekends and that is how he served corn on the cob, turn it upside down and the ear falls right out of the husk.

When I moved back to La. in 2012 the roadside farmers were selling a type of sweet corn named "G-85." I have no clue what that means, but the corn was delicious. I wonder what number they're on now?

I live for sweet corn grown on Long Island. No one else in my family eats corn on the cob so when we have get togethers and my wife puts a plate with four ears of corn on the table, I will forgo most of the other food and just enjoy the corn.

MOST corn is GMO!! chemically altered to withstand swimming in ROUNDUP aka ROUNDUP ready, never eat unless its organic + being a starch its like sugar adding to weight control issues with MANY overweight + OBESE people!!!!
Then you should get more exercise. Sounds like you speak from experience.

Reducing the time between picking and cooking/eating increases the flavor.

How 'bout that!

Reference Q: I soak my corn in water before 'grilling in husk'. Anybody else do that?

When I moved back to La. in 2012 the roadside farmers were selling a type of sweet corn named "G-85." I have no clue what that means, but the corn was delicious. I wonder what number they're on now?
Lol, maybe that's the corn used to make E85! Lol! Surely sweet corn ethanol would have more BTU's, right?

I searched last night thanks to this thread and found a farmer stand selling sweet corn. It is on the menu tonight! Yum! Thanks, OP!

Don't know how unhealthy it is, but I do love fresh corn. I usually just boil it in water with some sugar and lemon added, then top with a little butter and hot salt.

Back