Sweet 1962 Porsche 356B

Status
Not open for further replies.
I snapped these photos at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI.

I have some misc. racing photos and a few other cars if anyone's interested.

The car featured below has 60 HP! Not sure what oil he's running...

356side.jpg

356cockpit.jpg

356motorl.jpg

When I was growing up, my dad had a 356A and then a 356B, both coupes in silver. I remember the second one well, though I was only 4 or 5 at the time (1973 or so). I remember fitting in the back jump seats, but just barely. I thought it was cool that they were just my size.

Thanks for posting this!

Those are really neat little cars. My dad just loved them.

I'd imagine it has 20W-50 in it. Even with only 60hp, it probably goes pretty darn good - they were light cars.

Don't be misled by the 60 HP info though. The pictured engine has twin carbs, a mechanical advance distributor, and may have had the displacement altered. I would expect some robust performance from that inverted bathtub.
Good pix, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
those air cooled engines can run hot....

They sure can.

Gotta make sure timing is spot on, all engine compartment seals are intact, carb adjustments not too lean (and synchronized), keep oil topped up and above all... don't lug that motor.

Besides fouling plugs, lugging the engine makes the cooling fan run slow and the car will overheat. Best bet is to put a thermocouple near the hottest cylinder head (#3, I believe?).

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
Quote:
those air cooled engines can run hot....

They sure can.

Gotta make sure timing is spot on, all engine compartment seals are intact, carb adjustments not too lean (and synchronized), keep oil topped up and above all... don't lug that motor.

Besides fouling plugs, lugging the engine makes the cooling fan run slow and the car will overheat. Best bet is to put a thermocouple near the hottest cylinder head (#3, I believe?).

#3 gets hottest If it has the original oil cooler because it blocks and preheats the airflow to #3. Some distributors have slightly retarded timing on #3 to compensate.

Dual 2bbl carbs can be a bear.

Here is the only front shot that I have:

356bfront.jpg

From memory:

Easel on left has original bill of sale (Santa Monica, CA). Buyer put down $500 and another $1000 on delivery.

$170/month for 30 months afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back