Swapping ecm with used one of same model.

Hello everyone, vehicle in question is 2004 ford E 150, 275k miles.
Do I need to program a used ecu from junkyard that matches the year and model of my van, model number of the actual module is exactly the same , thanks.

Last edited:
It uses a basic key 🔑

Assuming that the rear-end gear ratio is the same, you should be fine to swap it without programming. If the rear-end gear ratio is different your speedometer may be incorrect, and re-programming will be needed to correct that.

I say this because in the Crown Victoria world, it's common to swap PCMs even between model years and nobody reprograms them.

Im not sure offhand when Econolines started having a VIN stored in the engine control module offhand but there will be a vin mismatch if it stores a vin. Per the ford calibration website there are 51 different possible engine calibrations for a 2004 econoline with a 5.4 (just picked an engine). Hardware is the same for all 51 calibrations. So yeah, its most likely going to need programming by someone that knows how to do blank path programming to change the calibration & vin

Im not sure offhand when Econolines started having a VIN stored in the engine control module offhand but there will be a vin mismatch if it stores a vin. Per the ford calibration website there are 51 different possible engine calibrations for a 2004 econoline with a 5.4 (just picked an engine). Hardware is the same for all 51 calibrations. So yeah, its most likely going to need programming by someone that knows how to do blank path programming to change the calibration & vin

The hardware may be the same, but the part number on them is not.

Each part number represents a different calibration and here is a picture I found on Ebay, I've highlighted the part number that represents the calibration it has: (The MLC-498A is the hardware part number):

EDIT: And each calibration is not only represented by a unique part number, it's also represented by a unique catch code, in this case the big "MDS3" printed right on top of the barcode. The website above lists the catch codes and their corresponding part numbers:

1666917888461.png

And from what I've read, nobody cares if the VIN matches other than possibly the emissions testers in California.

If I remember right, the VIN in my 2004 Ford Crown Vic comes up blank, and of all the times it's had an emissions ODI-II inspection, they've never said a word.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies, the junkyard ECM worked just fine without reprogramming it, it also solved the P1747 code that corresponds to A faulty transmission electronic pressure solenoid .....also a lot people have a harness problem with that code, mine was neither, it was a bad ECM/PCM. Hope this helps someone with similar issues.

Back