Swapped M1 to Edge in my 911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was about time for an oil change and I'm not using that M1 "FS" stuff, so I went with Edge 0W-40 instead. Thought about going with Porsche's "hot climate" recommendation of 5W-50, but nobody driving a Porsche in hot climates has had an issue with Edge 0W-40. Oil temps appear to be well regulated, because as soon as it hits 180F, it quickly drops to 174F and then works it way back up and repeats. I don't have turbos to worry about, so no big deal.

First step is to acess the engine bay. This part is hilarious. Yes, that is literally as much as I get. Pretty sure my Ram is laughing in the background.

Fan assembly and upper air intake come out pretty easily. Just mounts in with ball-and-socket connections. Fans are not for a heat exchanger. They just blow air through the engine bay to keep it from getting nuclear hot.

Once you get the fans out of the way, access is great! (not)

Whatever. All I needed to hit was the oil filter housing.

No.

Yes.

Draining the oil was fun. Majority gushes out like a fire hose, and then the rest takes about 20 minutes to drain. Then I had to wait until the oil warmed up enough to give me a reading through the vehicle display and electronic oil level gauge. Fortunately, I nailed the fill just right to get a reading of "OK".

Total amount invested into this oil change was $63. Porsche would have done the job for $400. No thanks. I talked to my dealer and they made it clear that warranty coverage will not be an issue so long as I have proof I did the changes.

When my Benz decided that the alternator was a perfectly good place to dump a fat load of transmission fluid, they never even asked for proof. They just fixed the darn thing.

Pretty easy packaging, much better than expected.

Re: proof of service I am sure the dealer could make some hay with that but usually that is up to the service mgr.

Man that engine bay is packed tight! And I thought my Z's engine bay was packed tight haha
laugh.gif
Does that fan assembly have to come out to do oil changes?

Originally Posted By: Why_Anything

"have proof I did the changes" Make sure its ironclad proof, Got it all on video?

That's what I was thinking!

Good on you for saving some $$$$

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
...I thought my Z's engine bay was packed tight haha
laugh.gif

Looks like it.
This car seems easy compared to some sports cars.... or aircraft... or helicopters
eek.gif

Oil filter access seems a lot easier and nicer than my F150.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Man that engine bay is packed tight! And I thought my Z's engine bay was packed tight haha
laugh.gif

Not sure your model of F150, but on my 01, that filter is a PITA to get to. Nothing like working upside down and getting oil in the face and then trying to clean up all the spilled oil from the filter that covers the transaxle because it's a 4 wheel drive model.

If you want bad filter access, do a Lincoln Mark VIII OR a Mini. You'll never complain again.

Real pain will be doing the air filters. I'm confident the entire rear bumper cover has to come off.

Wiping the fan assembly off with a dry towel is as much detailing as will ever go on there.

I'll do a UOA after the next oil change for S&G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back