Suzuki GSX 1400 K6 Which oil recommendation please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys first post here, never knew this site existed, so reading up.
Being basically a big old air cooled motor, oils pretty critical to these beasts.Lovely bike to ride does a mix of town and country and rarely needs to be revved over 5000.
Has 50000 K's on it now, so a few K's.
am a fan of 5000 k changes, happy to listen to any thoughts regarding, intervals filters OEM or Other, and of course which oil.
cheers

Rotella 15w40 and a Hi-Flo filter will do you just fine. The factory Zook filter has a goofy thread size. The Hi-Flo is a good filter and cheaper than the factory one. Or hit up Bales Technical for a new stud and run the more common Honda thread size filters. (Fram equivalent PH6607 or longer 7317 if you have room.)

Yes I like Hi flo filters as well, use them on my KTM dirtbike.
To above poster, yes shared sump, so 5000 k's changes too long because wear from the gearbox?
Also we don't have Rotella in Australia, I was thinking Motul 5100 might be OK,

I think he was thinking 5k miles not kilometers Pasho. Motul should do okay for 5k kilometers. You will notice your shifting get notchy if it shears out of grade too bad. That is usually when I replace it.

Now my shared sump triumph calls for 6k MILE OCI's..... I end up doing it every 2k to 2.5k miles instead when the shifting goes south.

Originally Posted By: Pasho

Also we don't have Rotella in Australia, I was thinking Motul 5100 might be OK,

You do have Shell Rimula though. As well as Shell's Advance line of MC specific lubes. Your Rimula is close to our US Rotella.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I think he was thinking 5k miles not kilometers Pasho. Motul should do okay for 5k kilometers. You will notice your shifting get notchy if it shears out of grade too bad. That is usually when I replace it.

Now my shared sump triumph calls for 6k MILE OCI's..... I end up doing it every 2k to 2.5k miles instead when the shifting goes south.

5k is OK 5,000 miles is a bit of a stretch in a shared sump in my humble opinion.. and yes, its due to the gearbox. Using good oil i feel 3,000 miles is plenty long in a shared sump. Just my honest opinion. (I rarely reach 2,000miles before i dump and start over.. but im hard on my oil
15.gif

I agree with the Rimula recommendation and the 5K changes being too long. When I had an Air Cooled Suzy, I would usually notice notchy shifting at about 2500 miles. I knew then it was time to change oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back