Suzuki DRZ400 1574 miles on Amsoil 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suprisingly the viscosity stayed in check but some other things showed up. Point me in the right direction here, because the bike is running flawlessly and getting great mileage. Silver has gone up considerably (5 to 21), Copper doubled (6 to 12), and everything else remained close to the same considering I ran the oil for a longer period of time.

Blackstone labs

mi/hr on oil: 1574
mi/hr on unit: 3834
makeup oil - 0

Aluminum - 13
Chrom - 1
Iron - 23
Copper - 12
Lead - 1
Molybd - 45
Nickel - 2
Manganese - 1
Silver - 21
Boron - 1
silicon - 8
sodium - 2
calcuim - 2497
Magnesiun - 26
Phosphorous- 1151
Zinc - 1281

Viscosity - 65.10 (65-76)
Flashpoint - 340
Fuel % - 1.8%
Insolubles - 0.2%

TBN - 9.4

Silver? Where is silver used in this engine? (Interesting) I know big old locomotive engines would have silver overlays...but in a modern MC engine this is a question. I cannot say if it has any bearing on the oil or not.

That fuel dilution is getting up there. So much for the thinning below 60, even with almost 2% fuel.

Harley - I'm not sure why none of the MC guys have jumped in here. If I was you I'd do at least two (or three) things.

1) Contact Suzuki USA and ask them to get with Japan and find out where the Ag is used in the engine.

2) Contact the lab.

3) Hit the Suzuki bike chat sites to see if they know why the Ag.

AZ Rider had 140 PPM of Ag on his UOA from Blackstone on a Buell Ulysses. Do you think it could be a Blackstone issue [calibration, contamination etc] ?

Yeah thanks craigq - I just went and looked - wow 140 ppm??? We could started refining the oil for Ag
smile.gif

That's whacked - move "contact the lab" to the top of the list.

Too much fuel dilution in this bike...I'd run the Amsoil 20w-50, MC oil instead since the fuel dilute will thin it out by one SAE grade. Aside from that the analysis looks fine for a new engine/transmission.

TS

If this engine uses a oil cooler then it is very likely that the silver is a alloy element in the solder.

Being a new engine, this is likely the culprit.

edit: I just thought of something. These engines us roller bearings for the crankshaft and needle bearings for the rod ends. It is possible that the silver is coming from the needle bearing cages on the rod bearings. If this is the case then it's likely just wearing in and should stop after break-in.

Fowvay,

The solder idea makes perfect sense.... You learn something every day.

I suspect the oil cooler is also where the bulk of the Cu is coming from, ie chemical leaching and not abrasive wear.

TS

I have the same bike and have no idea where silver would be used.

have you cleaned the oil tank screen in the frame? they have a ton of assembly junk in by 1000 miles. after that nothing will show up in it.

have you done any mods to the engine? jetting? pipe? etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back