SUV Starting To Use Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife’s 2004 Trailblazer is starting to use around a quart of oil between changes. It’s got 200,000 miles on its 4.2 liter I-6, so I guess it’s been a good one.
What I’m considering is using heavier weight oil than the 5w 30 it’s always used, and would like some advice on what to use. I’ve thought about 10w 30 or 10w 40 to slow down the oil use. What do y’all think?

Last edited:
I believe carbon buildup around the top of the pistons and ring lands causes ring seating problems with higher mileage engines. You may want to try some Seafoam in your intake to clean out your combustion chambers to free up stuck rings (if they are stuck) before you up the oil viscosity.

Clean out the throttle body, intake, and PCV lines with some carb cleaner. After that I would use a high mileage 10w30. I am surprised you have not used more oil sooner. Those larger inline GM motors seemed to use a little oil not to long after new.

Addressing ring issues has greatly helped consumption in an suv I have. I soaked the rings with MMO.

I use M1 10w-30 HM and that Helps a lot too. Until the end of the month, it is on a $10 a jug rebate. That makes it under $13 for 5 quarts at Walmart. Give that a try.

The quart usage is not going to hurt it. First try a thicker 5w-30 or a 5w-30 high mileage oil before going up a grade.

If there aren't any leaks, I'd replace the PCV valve and see if that helps. Then maybe give Kreen, MMO, or Rislone a shot.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This just started? Check for leaks.

+1

Are you a maintenance freak or a regular guy?

On my GS300 and my 4Runner they both had leaks and that was the culprit.

Originally Posted By: chemman
What is your oil change interval?

5000 Miles, I’ve always used synthetic oil and a quality filter.

200k on the clock and using 1 quart every 5k. What are you worried about? Keep using whatever you have been using.

Just my two cents,

Dave

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: PimTac
This just started? Check for leaks.

+1

Are you a maintenance freak or a regular guy?

On my GS300 and my 4Runner they both had leaks and that was the culprit.

Not a freak, but believe in regular maintenance. Also do all my own. It’s parked on concrete, and it’s not showing any leaks there.

Obviously, you have taken great car with your car. Man, your truck calls for 7 qts of oil!

Check for leaks and make sure after you change your oil you are at the full mark.

If you change filter sizes that could make a slight difference.

Make sure it's actually using 1 qt as I made the mistake in assuming that from the low mark to the full mark was always 1 qt and it is not always the case.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I believe carbon buildup around the top of the pistons and ring lands causes ring seating problems with higher mileage engines. You may want to try some Seafoam in your intake to clean out your combustion chambers to free up stuck rings (if they are stuck) before you up the oil viscosity.

I use Seafoam I’m my gas every couple months. How do you put it in the intake?

10w30 won't hurt it a bit - I'd have already made the switch. PCV valves, any more, are pretty much a regular maint. item so it makes sense to change that out to see if that's it. If not, I'd keep your 5K interval with 10w30 Valvoline Maxlife, run a can of Seafoam through with at least 2/3 tank of fuel, and (not at the same time, but) add the prescribed amount to the oil 500-1,000 miles before an oil change.

It's entirely possible for an engine to go well more than 200K with no change in oil consumption due to true wear, but even if it is starting to actually burn some a quart every 5K is no reason to doubt the engine's integrity.

I like the 4.2. I'd never driven a Trailblazer until about a month ago, but the size and layout of the vehicle coupled with the I-6's output characteristics were a nice combo.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Put some flexseal in there. It will stop the leak. LOL!

I wonder if I could then cut it in half, glue it back together, then drive it across a lake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back