Suspicion of a bad Engine Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at a loss. Went out and bought bolt extractor sockets and those rounded the bolt off even more.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
I'm at a loss. Went out and bought bolt extractor sockets and those rounded the bolt off even more.

What is the clearance like for those bolts? Did you spray the Dickens out of it with penetrating fluid and a wire brush?

Can you wack the head of the bolt with a hammer to loose ln it up first?

Any pics of the problem area?

Here are a few pictures.

I've sprayed blaster on the exposed end of the bolt as best I can

I wonder how the entire bracket comes off?

IMG_20190122_173836_5.jpg

IMG_20190122_173903_4.jpg

Hard to Cleary see for my 50 year old eyes. Is that a bolt to the right of the belt somewhere between the 3 o'clock and 6 o' clock positions? Is that the bolt rounded off?

I don't want you fubar-ing this up more in this weather.

My 98 Sienna had a hidden bolt around the. 11 o clock position on the power steering pump. Have you checked any ford forums for service manual pics?

Are you doing this in a heated garage? I feel for you.

I haven't seen Trav reply, he's normally the man who's saved me a few times.

Originally Posted by JC1
Hard to Cleary see for my 50 year old eyes. Is that a bolt to the right of the belt somewhere between the 3 o'clock and 6 o' clock positions? Is that the bolt rounded off?

My 98 Sienna had a hidden bolt around the. 11 o clock position on the power steering pump. Have you checked any ford forums for service manual pics?

The first picture is a top-down view of the bolt head. It's shown toward the left side of the second picture.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Originally Posted by JC1

The first picture is a top-down view of the bolt head. It's shown toward the left side of the second picture.

Oh ok I see it now. Is holding the alternator on? Are the other bolts loose without being rounded off?

If you could get everything else loose and that one is stuck and your changing the alternator I may take a sawzall to the alternator just under the bolt head. That bolt may be seized at the threaded part. Get the alternator off and then use heat and vice grips to get the bolt out of the housing.

Sounds like a hack job, but if you're in a pinch and you ain't paying a mechanic, you decide if you are comfortable doing that.

Don't know if you have a core charge for a new alternator. You'll need some new bolts from the dealer. Make sure to use anti seize on the new bolts and reinstalled other bolts

Last edited:
It's like there is no room in there to do anything. I tried to get out under the car and it looks like the bracket is too big to come out top or bottom.

I think you are looking at one of the small bolts that hold the alternator case halves together. If you have the DOHC engine, there are two large bolts (13 or 15 mm heads) that hold it to the engine. Look at the pictures of a new alternator on rockauto etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
I think you are looking at one of the small bolts that hold the alternator case halves together. If you have the DOHC engine, there are two large bolts (13 or 15 mm heads) that hold it to the engine. Look at the pictures of a new alternator on rockauto etc.

I'm pretty positive that the ones holding the case together are around 7 or 8mm or so. The top/front bolt is definitely a 10mm and it came out relatively easily.

I think I'm at a point where I'm going to have to unbolt a motor mount and raise the engine up. Today was the only warm day of the week, and tomorrow's supposed to be all rain, I'm working in the driveway and now it looks like at least another day of driving my wife's car.

Agree. Looks like a case bolt. Any alternator bolt is going to be at least a 12mm. If it really small like an 8mm, it's almost certainly a case bolt.

Irwin Bolt Grip is the best bolt extractor I've used, but you have to hammer it on with a small sledgehammer. Don't need to hammer it like a maniac. Just helps in getting it smacked with a good short swing.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Agree. Looks like a case bolt. Any alternator bolt is going to be at least a 12mm. If it really small like an 8mm, it's almost certainly a case bolt.

Irwin Bolt Grip is the best bolt extractor I've used, but you have to hammer it on with a small sledgehammer. Don't need to hammer it like a maniac. Just helps in getting it smacked with a good short swing.

The cell phone picture may not be showing it properly nor showing the right bolt, now that I look at it. The mounting bolts are too big, IMO, to have 10mm heads but they do, for some reason.

Seriously? Sometimes I forgot how anti-repair Ford was in the late 90s and early 2000s. If you can get a bolt grip smacked on there real good, it should pull it. You're going to want to soak the threads of that bolt in penetrating oil as good as you can. Recommend heating the bolt as well before giving it a crack.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Seriously? Sometimes I forgot how anti-repair Ford was in the late 90s and early 2000s. If you can get a bolt grip smacked on there real good, it should pull it. You're going to want to soak the threads of that bolt in penetrating oil as good as you can. Recommend heating the bolt as well before giving it a crack.

I got underneath it last night and gave it another wash down with PB Blaster. I made an attempt with some smallish vise grips but didn't make any progress. I will probably try again when I get home.

I bought a set of extractors from O'Reilly but they're not Irwin brand. Plus, it's been rounded off so much that the 10mm size doesn't engage anymore.

Edit- OK now that I look, these irwins look different, the ones from O'Reilly are straight teeth and the irwins are twisted. I'm going to get some.

Bolt is currently worn down to in between a 10mm and a 9mm... 9mm won't fit on but a 3/8 will go part way on.

Last edited:
OK I bought the set they hat at Lowes, it says it has a 3/8 and 10mm socket. But the link above shows a different set with an 8mm and 10mm.

Is the 10mm in the set above different from the one in the set I bought?

I bought the Bolt Grip set and the expansion still to no avail. I ended up getting in there with a sawzall (RIP my oil filter) and got the bolt cut. I nicked up the alternator and the bracket but dang it, its out. I ordered a new aftermarket alternator with a LLT warranty, no core necessary so I'm not even concerned with having hacked up the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back