Suspension/tire experts, I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 97,000 miles on my Dakota. It developed a really rough ride, so after a lot of research I put on 4 new Monroe Reflex truck/suv shocks yesterday. It did better with those, it has a firmer ride and the bumps are not so harsh now. I had Sensa Trac shocks before that and they were worn, but maybe not worn out. I had 37K on them. Driving the truck to work today I noticed a harsh vibration from the front end, at all speeds from 20 on up to 60 mph. I took it to the tire store where I have a lifetime rotation and balance policy on it, they rotated and balanced the tires but also diagnosed a loose left front tie rod end, which they said was the cause of the vibration I had. I had them replace it, and thinking the other one was probably not far behind, I had them replace the right tie rod end too. I have a 3 year alignment policy too so they checked and realigned it at no charge.

Trouble is, there is still a vibration in the front end somewhere. I feel it from the front end of the truck, in the floor pan and in my foot on the pedal and somewhat up into the seat on the butt-dyno. It is present from about 50 mph up through 70-75 mph. And it is irritating, not to mention could indicate something else is wrong with my truck. The harsh vibration I felt in the steering wheel is gone so maybe the tie rod end(s) did need to be replaced. This tire store has never lied to me before. I have looked under the truck myself several times and can find nothing wrong, but I am untrained. All the bushings and so forth look good to me, just the usual fine hairline creases you might see at 97K. I am probably wrong on that assumption but I don't know what else to look for.

Tires are Michelin LTX M/S 235/75R15, they have about 55K on them, are 3 years old and still look to have about 1/2 the original tread left. Even though they still look to be in good shape could the tires be causing this vibration? Michelin says they have a 60K warranty. How do you tell if a tire is out of round and causing a bad vibration? Would that have shown up when the tech balanced the wheels today? Something is causing this truck to have a bad vibration from the front end somewhere. It didn't do this before. Truck has never been wrecked and I have always, always taken exceptionally good care of it. I'm not a BITOG'er for nothing. I don't know what else to look for and at this point I'm ready to dump it in the Gulf of Mexico and start over.

I appreciate any help you guys have.

My Yukon started a slight buzzing through the floor at speed. I guessed it was the right front wheel bearing or something up front. I rotated the tires the other day and it went away. I guess it was my tire. I'm due for new ones.

You MAY have a different problem, since they rotated your tires and you still have the vibration. Can you try the spare on the front and see if it changes?
Is your truck four wheel drive?

They only replaced the 2 puter tie rod ends. Truck steers fine. I have no clunk or any signs of driveshaft or u-joint trouble. After driving it to work today I figure this has to be a wheel balance problem. I'm taking it to another location of the same tire store to have it re-balanced today. I need a tech who knows what to look for and how to diagnose and correct it right to have a look at it. After looking at the wheels in the sunlight this morning the balance weights just don't look correct. For example on a wheel where there had been a long weight maybe a 2 oz, there is now a 1/4 oz weight. All 4 wheels are like that. I am not sure the wheels are balanced right and that's the first most logical place to start. If it is the tires, I'll get new ones.

Sorry for the rant here. I am already irritated at myself enough for paying to have the tie rods replaced when I could have done it myself for a lot less. I don't have a puller to get it off the steering knuckle and then I would have had to bring it back in again for an alignment after I did the work, so I thought it best just to get it fixed while I was there, in one shot. I was wrong.

You seem to have multiple problems.
The tie rods were no doubt bad.
But something was causing them to be moved in a regular pattern - a vibration.
Tires are first. Bad balance, internal construction or damage, or bent wheels. Corroded or otherwise bad mounting surfaces can also do this. Brake rotors that are warped or have hard spots are possible. Wheel bearings can be tough to check unless they are really bad, but are also a contributor. Same for ball joints.

But with 55K on the tires, it's very likely that they are at fault.

An update..Turns out the guy who balanced the wheels last night must not have known what he was doing. All 4 wheels were way out of balance and completely out of whack by half to over an ounce and a half on both sides. The guys at the different location today were very good about getting it taken care of, they sent me on a test drive with their tech, got it out on the interstate and demonstated the vibration to him, and he agreed there was definitely something wrong. Went back to the shop and they let me hang out in the shop with him while he checked and re-balanced all 4 wheels. The weights and their placement were completely wrong. There were even a couple of weights the guy from the other store had cut part of the weight off to try to get a correct weight. I guess they must have been out of that particular sized weight at the time.

Tires all balanced out to zero and the drive home was perfect. The only thing is the weights the guy today used don't fit flush down on the wheel like the ones I had on there before I started this whole ordeal. I know there are different types that grip on different sizes of the edge of the rim and sit at different angles on the wheel. I had thought of taking a hammer to tap them down flat but as long as they stay on and my truck drives right I'll leave well enough alone. A strange thing is a couple of the wheels have more than one weight on the outside side of the wheel now. I had no idea the geometry of the wheel/tire balance could change that much.

Now i just have to get used to these Reflex shocks. They are much stiffer and I have a firmer ride than I had before but it's much more solid now.

Thanks everybody for the help here.

Normally when a wheel requuires a second weight, it's because the first wasn't placed at exact 12:00 (top dead center), or the balancer isn't set to wheel's exact measurements (most of the newer machines do this automatically, and the setting calibation gets off), ot the machine is simply out of calibration. Under NO circumstance should the second, error correction weight be more than .75 oz., or tech should strip and start over.

If the drive home was perfect, and it stays that way leave it the hades alone!

Bob

With today's computer tire balancing machines, it's hard for me to believe they couldn't get it close or right on the first time.
You would have to try to foul things up that much .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back