Survey: Auto or Manual transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who among you would prefer a manual transmission for a DD/Commuter car over any type of automatic transmission?

+1 for me, so that would be 1/0

Just keep adding them up as you respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
3/2, unless my daily driving was all stop-and-go; and I moved away from THAT mess years ago!

Seems the count has been lost -- the numbering is off and not everyone specified auto/manual to verify.

Whatever the count is, add my vote for manual. Don't care what the commute involves. As long as I have two working arms and two working legs, it's 3 pedals or nothing.

To be fair, if my commute were that bad, I'd take public transit or change my schedule.

My commute is perfect for a manual, but I'm considering automatics in my next car for the better mileage. I'd prefer a manual with a tall top gear.
6/5

The reality is, most people want an automatic. My wife is a rare woman that likes driving a stick and went out of her way finding the Audi she wanted new with a manual

Depends on the manual transmission. The recent Corolla and Camry manuals did nothing for the car or driving experience. Other vehicles like BMW 8 speed auto and I suspect many new models are quite excellent.

I am neutral.

Automatic in the case if I planned on using it while on vacation where I encounter a lot of stop and go traffic. Or if I lived in a highly populated where there was allot of stop and go traffic.

I've been to a few tourist traps where it's nothing but stop and go and after awhile my left leg starts to cramp from constantly pushing the clutch in and out.

One time I thought I burned my clutch up on my Subaru while at Speedway in lights at the Bristol Nascar Racetrack. People constantly stopping to take photos. Big deal. My car smelled like burnt clutch lining for a month.

Luckily I live in Eastern Tennessee, not the sticks but traffic can move at a snail's pace around when everyone is getting off from work but almost no stop and go traffic.

I got stuck on the M1 going to London and it was nothing but stop and go traffic for hours. Nothing but cars for miles. What a nightmare. I could have walked to London quicker than driving a car.

Another thing. Manuals are better suited for mountain driving.

Yes you can pull an automatic into L2 to keep from riding your brakes but still not as good as a manual.

I can pull my Subaru into 4th gear coming down the mountain and coast for 20 miles without hitting my brakes once. Occasionally having to give it gas to bump my speed up a big. I can pull my Chevy van into L2 and have to tap my brakes once a minute or so to slow down. L1 is too low for 50 miles per hour.

I'm surprised how most people don't know how to drive an automatic down hills. I see people in front of me either riding their brakes or tapping their brakes every 10 seconds trying to slow down. Then I start smelling burned braking lining.

Last edited:
Manual.

Yes sometimes it sucks when you spend 2 hours behind the wheel only to move 5 miles but it's worth it when the road opens up. Porsche now labels itself a luxury car maker....sad. I'll take a GT3 though.

On the count: Let's see...

SilverSnake reversed the previous votes, so it's not clear which way he was voting. Not counted.

wemay typed "automatic" but added a point to the Manual column. Counted as auto.

KrisZ added a point to BOTH columns but said Manual. Vote for Manual.

skyactiv says his wife prefers manual, and his sig shows both vehicles owned as manual....counted as 1 vote for manual.
(and a
thumbsup2.gif
for his wife)

TurboFiat124 engaged in a bit of a long winded discussion, but in the end did not really vote.
(Except for high traffic vacation destinations)
grin.gif
Vacations not counted.

Chris142 defaults to manual since he can't drive automatic.
lol.gif

After all that analysis, it's:

8 Manual 4 Automatic 1 Neutral

8/5

I love driving manual, but for a DD its rough. In the summers when area schools are out its much better, but all other times commuting in traffic with a stick is pretty terrible. On the open road? back roads? Sign me up anyday for a stick.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The reality is, most people want an automatic. My wife is a rare woman that likes driving a stick and went out of her way finding the Audi she wanted new with a manual

Same here. People look at her as if she is a martian when they find out she drives a car with manual transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back