Surveillance

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-use-phone.html
Quote:
Digital speed cameras which capture drivers smoking or eating at the wheel are being introduced nationwide in a new move to hammer motorists.
Drivers will also face fines, bans and even jail for infringements such as driving without a seatbelt, using a hand-held mobile phone or overtaking across double white lines.
The hi-tech DVD cameras, which have instant playback, will also be used to provide photographic evidence against those eating sandwiches or rolling-up cigarettes at the wheel.

These are now considered serious offences under new guidelines drawn up for prosecutors.
The development will massively increase the number of fines and prosecutions against normally law-abiding drivers for relatively minor offences.

Quote:
Smoking at the wheel was recently included in the Highway Code as something which courts can consider as a factor when police accuse drivers of failing to have proper control of their vehicle.

Quote:
Under new sentencing rules, motorists using hand-held mobile phones could be jailed for two years and be disqualified if this was an aggravating factor in dangerous driving.

crazy2.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/22/cctv-overload-in-london-not-as-effective-as-previously-hoped/
Quote:
"with the proportion of crimes solved suggests there is no link between a high number of CCTV cameras and a better crime clear-up rate." Close to £200 million ($401 million) has purportedly been spent on building such an elaborate CCTV network, but this study noted that it still wasn't "entirely clear if some of that money would not have been better spent on police officers."

Motorists have to pay that back.

It's automated taxation, or at least some portion of it is. I wonder how long it will take to break even. Then it's socially "justifiable" taxation where governments do not have the constitutional basis upon which to tax legitimately.

We have long lambasted that police seem to only chase speeders, because that's the only traffic infraction they can prove with the provided technology.

Now there's equipment that will help prosecute other offenses that also (moreso?) have a causative effect on accidents.

I've seen folks lose speed for no apparent reason while lighting up a smoke. They're obviously distracted. And it's just one factor; looks like they would need more to go on. IE light a smoke, don't let it affect your driving, don't hit anybody, get out of jail free.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Convicted for holding a girl's hand while driving...

???

Hmmm...I can think of a few times where I'd probably get life w/o parole.

Don't feel too smug, surveillance will increase here as well. Before long, you will have to assume you're on camera whenever you're not in your own home.

Oz has introduced laws with speeding cameras that if it's your vehicle, you are strictly liable unless you as the vehicle owner nominate a person who you declare was the one photographed.

Don't dob, and you wear it.

There's gonna be a market for stuffed animal toys that hold cellphones inside them while you talk.

"why is that man cuddling a teddy bear?"

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
wear a mask. No ID no conviction.

I need to get me one of these
4067777.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Under new sentencing rules, motorists using hand-held mobile phones could be jailed for two years and be disqualified if this was an aggravating factor in dangerous driving.

I saw that quote and thought it HAS to Britain ...
smirk2.gif

Banning radios in cars would seem to be the next step.

But I wonder how police are exempted from using radios and phones, and have computer screen to monitor, etc.??
All sorts of crud is OK for them, but not for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back