Surprising that Honda would recall vehicles from 1994.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just recalled a bunch of Jeeps, too. One of the recalls was cooling fans throwing off their blades.

Another one was Jeep Cherokee SUVs with heated seats..Seems the heater would run a little bit overtemp, setting fire to the upholstery.

Oooops!

Is this the infamous Honda main relay issue? They mentioned a few cases on melted solder dripping on people's feet. That's a strange one.

I was thinking about the civic relay issue too. That would be millions of units affected though, right? At least Honda stepped up and did the right thing. Cheaper than lawsuit payouts for burned legs from melted solder.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
According to the NHTSA, they don't issue a recall if the vehicle is over 8 model years old.

If you read the article carefully, only a small portion of the total number of vehicles were sold in the US. This recall must either be voluntary or was initiated by another country's version of NHTSA, perhaps Japan.

Point of clarification: actual "recalls" are either automaker voluntary or federally mandated due to demonstrable safety-related defects. Case in point: Hyundai's recall notifications for certain model year Sonatas to have an additional fuel cutoff valve installed to prevent a fire hazard in the event of a vehicle rollover. The agency that investigates and orders an automaker to send out recall notices is the NHTSA. All automakers have been known to mail owners notifications to advise and/or provide no-cost repair of various reliability or drivability issues not directly associated with safety problems. Those notifications are not technically "recalls". Case in point: Nissan's current communications with owners of 4-cyl Sentras and Altimas over excess oil consumption.

[ June 15, 2006, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
According to the NHTSA, they don't issue a recall if the vehicle is over 8 model years old.

This from the "Frequently Asked Questions" area on the NHTSA site:

"Are there any limitations on my right to have my vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. In order to be eligible for free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years [emphasis mine] old on the date the defect or non-compliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser."

rolleyes.gif

In 1999 I received a letter about my 84 Civic's seat belts, went to the dealer and they installed new ones, all four of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back