SURGERY HOLIDAYS - anybody been on one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
specifically, i'm looking to do a Thailand trip for LASIK to correct short-sightedness

lots of organisers out there, and i guess a few risks to doing it

feedback ?

I seldom watch the rag, but "60 Minutes" did a segment about a year ago where people were going to India or Pakistan to get medical work done. What costs about $50K-$100K in the states, costs between $5K-$10K there. Supposedly, the doctors, nurses and hospitals are top notch.
Another business that is getting exported, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
... Another business that is getting exported, I guess.

32.gif
Whenever some smirky person from the medical profession starts taking potshots at our American automobile industry and how my days are numbered, I remind them that HMOs would outsource health care and dentistry if they could only find some way to do it. The day may come when your doctor will be forced by HMOs to send you overseas for your hip replacement because it is cheaper to do so.

Are you really going to save that much for a relatively inexpensive procedure like Lasik? The financial benefit comes from things that cost tens of thousands, not a few thousand... unless you were already planning a vacation there in the first place

I seldom watch the rag, but "60 Minutes" did a segment about a year ago where people were going to India or Pakistan to get medical work done. What costs about $50K-$100K in the states, costs between $5K-$10K there. Supposedly, the doctors, nurses and hospitals are top notch.
Another business that is getting exported, I guess.

There is some real room for abuse there. You need to be sure that the hospital you are going to and the Doctors you will be having are top notch. Not everything in those countries is rosy and as medical tourism gets more popular the scam artists will pile on and send people to 2nd rate hospitals for 1st rate prices.

If I need a organ I am going to China for sure!

As to our medical systems 99% of the insane cost's are due to governement sticking their knose into the system and trial lawyers going sue crazy. Get tort reform in themix and undo all the silly B.S. local and federal goverments have put in play and cost's would drop like a rock. One lady recently needed to get X-Rays of her wrist. At first every place she called could not tell her the price because they did not know and they all wanted $1200-$3000 and they all said "What does it matter you have insurance?"!!! So she kept shopping around and started asking for cash prices finally she found a place that would do it for $21......This was in the USA as well not in some third world! We have created an market that has a lot of artificial cost's that could be eliminated almost over night to the point that many people would not even need to use their insurance for most of their needs. Their is so much waste as well. If a Doctor use's a dispossable 110 pice surgical kit but only use's three items they have to bill you for the entire kit and toss the other 107 pieces which are still steril int he trash. Stuff like this is stupid and it goes on at a rate that is out of sight.

My Doctor stoped dilivering babbies because the malpractice insurance was just too much! He is a true GP and did a little bit of everything from Surgery to Delivering Babbies and makeing house calls. He has stoped a lot of things and now he never leaves his office unles it is to check up on a patient at the Hosipital after his normal practice is closed for the day etc......All because of malpractice insurance and productivity reasons. It is stupid it really is.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
If I need a organ I am going to China for sure!

As to our medical systems 99% of the insane cost's are due to governement sticking their knose into the system and trial lawyers going sue crazy. Get tort reform in themix and undo all the silly B.S. local and federal goverments have put in play and cost's would drop like a rock. One lady recently needed to get X-Rays of her wrist. At first every place she called could not tell her the price because they did not know and they all wanted $1200-$3000 and they all said "What does it matter you have insurance?"!!! So she kept shopping around and started asking for cash prices finally she found a place that would do it for $21......This was in the USA as well not in some third world! We have created an market that has a lot of artificial cost's that could be eliminated almost over night to the point that many people would not even need to use their insurance for most of their needs. Their is so much waste as well. If a Doctor use's a dispossable 110 pice surgical kit but only use's three items they have to bill you for the entire kit and toss the other 107 pieces which are still steril int he trash. Stuff like this is stupid and it goes on at a rate that is out of sight.

My Doctor stoped dilivering babbies because the malpractice insurance was just too much! He is a true GP and did a little bit of everything from Surgery to Delivering Babbies and makeing house calls. He has stoped a lot of things and now he never leaves his office unles it is to check up on a patient at the Hosipital after his normal practice is closed for the day etc......All because of malpractice insurance and productivity reasons. It is stupid it really is.

Well said, however I don't think it really is the government, but the lawyers and medical society that causes these problems.

I've already outsourced my parents' medical need to China and Hong Kong. Whenever they visit they do every possible medical check up and treatment.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
... Another business that is getting exported, I guess.

32.gif
Whenever some smirky person from the medical profession starts taking potshots at our American automobile industry and how my days are numbered, I remind them that HMOs would outsource health care and dentistry if they could only find some way to do it. The day may come when your doctor will be forced by HMOs to send you overseas for your hip replacement because it is cheaper to do so.

I can see the standard stuff like that gets getting shipped out, but I don't see the majority of people wanting to go to a foreign country unless they are saving money. The shortage in the medical profession especially in nursing will get worse as the baby boomers get older.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Are you really going to save that much for a relatively inexpensive procedure like Lasik? The financial benefit comes from things that cost tens of thousands, not a few thousand... unless you were already planning a vacation there in the first place

unless he's thinking of all the beautiful Thai women he'll be able to see clearly, after the surgery.

Quote:
As to our medical systems 99% of the insane cost's are due to governement sticking their knose into the system and trial lawyers going sue crazy.

Doctors, lawyers, and accountants.

Quote:
Get tort reform in themix and undo all the silly B.S.

Doctors, Lawyers, and accountants.

Malpractice insurance penalties should be borne by the negligent. Malpractice insurance has morphed into an "less than favorable outcome" adjustment process.

Remember, business never changes, it reacts. Tort reform would not lower the cost of health care. It would make it easier to be of lower caliber and operate with impunity.

The other shoe always drops the hardest.

relatively inexpensive ???

$5-6,ooo australian over here
$1800 au in thailand

iso accredited, tour organised if necessary completing and lodging all paperwork etc

and i was going for a holiday there as it was

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back