Supra is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by wemay
I have a problem with a Supra having a BMW engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the engines per say, just that Toyota didn't invest in their own design. I would feel the same way if it were the Z4 with a Toyota engine.

They are working on V6 3.5 twin turbo, but that is not on par with BMW B58.
Problem is that Toyota was out for A LONG time in this segment. It would cost too much money to develop things from scratch, and probability of being on par with engines from BMW is zero.

I would agree with everything you wrote except..."probability of being on par with engines from BMW is zero."
Toyota has the resources and the background. Whether they want to spend the capitol and time is another thing.

It is equal to zero. Many manufacturers abandoned inline 6 due to cost. Everyone but BMW. They are coming back again due to the cost, due to modularity with 4 and 3cyl engines, but there is catch up to make. Toyota decided to go with BMW because of their institutional knowledge in that department. One cannot wake up one morning and say: yeah, we have been out of game for 30 years, but you know what, no biggie, we will just do it in no time, we have money. Even if you take into consideration that Supra is not profit maker, but image maker, it is hard. In that case if Toyota wanted sheer numbers, V6 turbo would be easier for them, but obviously Toyota wanted more than just numbers and 0-60 time for internet drivers.

The Japanese market will get...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/14/japanese-market-2020-toyota-supra/

Capture.PNG

Let me see if I can put this in perspective. The new Supra came back after 20+ years and in that time frame, it got extra 20 horsepower.

Really?

REALLY??

R E A L L Y ???

Without 600+ HP from factory, Toyota has done grave injustice to their iconic model. I suspect all the ricers are really crying. MAY BE THAT IS NOT A BAD THING????

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vikas
Let me see if I can put this in perspective. The new Supra came back after 20+ years and in that time frame, it got extra 20 horsepower.

Really?

REALLY??

R E A L L Y ???

Without 600+ HP from factory, Toyota has done grave injustice to their iconic model. I suspect all the ricers are really crying. MAY BE THAT IS NOT A BAD THING????

Supra with B58 engine goes to 60 in 4.1sec.
So, do tell us what 250hp extra would accomplish and why one would need that except to argue in parking lot who has more hp while bragging how fast they are playing GTA?

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Hopefully it won't leak too bad and leave stains on the driveway.
smile.gif

That's brake dust from cleaning my wheels. There's not an oil stain to be found on my driveway or in my garage.

Looks like a Dodge Viper with a weird front body kit and an even weirder rear body kit designed for an RX7.

I have a hard time hating anything that does 0-60 in 4.1. Though with the rated hp, I'll believe 4.1 when I see it.

Since this Supra is a BMW, the turn signals probably don't work.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Looks good but for name of Supra doesnt go well with mid 300 hp/tq....hummm

Stock vs stock, the new one makes more horsepower and torque than a Mk4 Supra.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Are the Lexus brake cooling vents as fake as Lexus? Thanks for posting.

Not likely. I would almost guarantee that the vents are functional because of the need for the aux cooler (engine coolant) and oil cooler. You can tell by looking for vents on the inside of the wells of the front wheels.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by s2krunner
Looks good but for name of Supra doesnt go well with mid 300 hp/tq....hummm

Stock vs stock, the new one makes more horsepower and torque than a Mk4 Supra.

After 20+ years, today run of the mill four door sedans have similar hp/tq *AND* performance numbers.
Supra needs to be way better than those cars.

The thing that always separated the Supra from the rest of the sports cars out there was that it was Japanese, it was unique in every way possible, and it was good despite being made by a manufacturer not famed for performance.

Everyone knew that Supra wasn't technically capable of defeating the sports cars from a lot of manufacturers, but the curb appeal was that it wasn't from any of those guys.

This was a much appreciated bold move by Toyota. Chevrolet had already proven that there was no business case for the Corvette, Supra, RX7, or any other sports car of it's type and price. These cars sold on appeal alone. The car was ballsy. Really ballsy.

What we have here with this Supra is unoriginal, uninspired, derivative, and it's all based on a car that nobody wanted including BMW. Without the Toyota cash for this project, the Z4 was going straight into the trash.

The least they could have done was to make it unique in styling. Instead, it looks like it was slapped together from the Toyota/Lexus design bin on the outside, and the interior looks like a Z4 interior after being transmitted by fax machine.

I understand that the whole "Make sure they know it's a __________." method of styling is all the rage these days, but maybe it shouldn't be.

I don't doubt it has a great engine, and a very competent chassis. It's just lazy. Really really really lazy. The only defense being put up for it is that it will be cheaper than a Z4. So we all get the opportunity to buy a car that nobody wants for less money. Got it.

Back in the day i never thought saying this was possible...

I'd take a Kia Stinger over this Supra any day.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
The thing that always separated the Supra from the rest of the sports cars out there was that it was Japanese, it was unique in every way possible, and it was good despite being made by a manufacturer not famed for performance.

Everyone knew that Supra wasn't technically capable of defeating the sports cars from a lot of manufacturers, but the curb appeal was that it wasn't from any of those guys.

This was a much appreciated bold move by Toyota. Chevrolet had already proven that there was no business case for the Corvette, Supra, RX7, or any other sports car of it's type and price. These cars sold on appeal alone. The car was ballsy. Really ballsy.

What we have here with this Supra is unoriginal, uninspired, derivative, and it's all based on a car that nobody wanted including BMW. Without the Toyota cash for this project, the Z4 was going straight into the trash.

The least they could have done was to make it unique in styling. Instead, it looks like it was slapped together from the Toyota/Lexus design bin on the outside, and the interior looks like a Z4 interior after being transmitted by fax machine.

I understand that the whole "Make sure they know it's a __________." method of styling is all the rage these days, but maybe it shouldn't be.

I don't doubt it has a great engine, and a very competent chassis. It's just lazy. Really really really lazy. The only defense being put up for it is that it will be cheaper than a Z4. So we all get the opportunity to buy a car that nobody wants for less money. Got it.

That's the problem with cars nowadays,especially the sports cars. They all look non-unique and all look the same. My favorite Supra was the one from the mid to late 90s.

I don't know why I though of this but the last time I saw a Supra the driver threatened to shoot me in the face. That was New Years 2006.

I am suprized they used a bmw motor. The motor in my van would move a car that small at a good pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back