Supra is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
yeah, really is't faar away from the z4. Whats up with toyota nowdays when they cant do they own cars sport cars.

It is a Z4. Look at the interior - it even has iDrive.

I think it is for when all the Toyota fanboys start claiming they bought the Toyota because it is more reliable, then BMW can say SIKE it's actually a Z4.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dlundblad
The rear end looks nicer than the front.

Nissan still wins IMO, but the straight 6 in the Yoda is a nice touch. That's vintage Japanese right there.

Except for the fact that it's a BMW engine. I was really excited about the return of the Supra, but I feel this is a huge let down from the engine to the overall design*.

*I reserve the right to change my mind upon test drive.

I just saw the rear shot. Proportions are awful. So high and narrow. Knew it was getting a BMW engine. Didn't know it was getting a BMW everything else.

Nothing wrong with BMW, but this is a Supra in name only. Better to have left the name dead.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Meh. It's just proof that Toyota has forgotten how to make a real sports car- carbon copy the Subaru BRZ, now this Z4 variant that's no more powerful than the last "real" Supra from 2002 (and certainly won't ever generate the same kind of HP when modded!). I think all these years of making cars that are as exciting as refrigerator magnets has really taken its toll.

Celica GT-Four, MR2, Supra, 2000GT... now THOSE were Toyota's sports cars. This is just another rebadged rehash. Yawn.

The B58 (current BMW I6 gas) is a closed deck design and it will easily put out over 400 hp when modded.

Did Toyota develop the engines in prev-incarnations of the Supra or were they Yamaha?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
To me it looks like a Miata and an Alpha had a kid by the nosing on it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mazda didn't have some influence here.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Nice BMW.

Isn't a Toyota-BMW vehicle an oxy moron?

At least it has an inline 6. If Toyota had to do all that work from scratch the price point of the car would be much higher. The old Supras were great cars, it's hard to recreate that.

The old Supra was a legitimate Japanese muscle car, it's so sad that they are trying to cash on on the Grand Turismo playing millenials of the 2000s.

Same old story: Badge engineered to extract the value out of a legendary model and crap all over the legacy of said model for shareholder profits.

Loved the Supra of old. This model is so NOT a Supra. Very disappointing.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Meh. It's just proof that Toyota has forgotten how to make a real sports car- carbon copy the Subaru BRZ, now this Z4 variant that's no more powerful than the last "real" Supra from 2002 (and certainly won't ever generate the same kind of HP when modded!). I think all these years of making cars that are as exciting as refrigerator magnets has really taken its toll.

Celica GT-Four, MR2, Supra, 2000GT... now THOSE were Toyota's sports cars. This is just another rebadged rehash. Yawn.

The B58 (current BMW I6 gas) is a closed deck design and it will easily put out over 400 hp when modded.

Did Toyota develop the engines in prev-incarnations of the Supra or were they Yamaha?

B58 in Z4 I think develops 386hp.
This thing will easily go over 500hp.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
At least it has an inline 6. If Toyota had to do all that work from scratch the price point of the car would be much higher. The old Supras were great cars, it's hard to recreate that.

Toyota admitted few months back that they lost know-how completely focusing on such automotive achievements as Camry, Highlander and Corolla. They also complained about Subaru not being able to deliver what they wanted. I think what they were saying that BRZ and F86 (or whatever) were test to see if Supra would be possible in that cooperation, but they excluded Subaru out of it.
Toyota fanboys need to understand that BMW supplies engines to Toyota for last 20 years around the world. Toyota on other hand supplies BMW with know-how when it comes to hybrid technology. It is really interesting and for drivers beneficial cooperation.

I have a problem with a Supra having a BMW engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the engines per say, just that Toyota didn't invest in their own design. I would feel the same way if it were the Z4 with a Toyota engine.

Originally Posted by wemay
I have a problem with a Supra having a BMW engine. Not that there's anything wrong with the engines per say, just that Toyota didn't invest in their own design. I would feel the same way if it were the Z4 with a Toyota engine.

They are working on V6 3.5 twin turbo, but that is not on par with BMW B58.
Problem is that Toyota was out for A LONG time in this segment. It would cost too much money to develop things from scratch, and probability of being on par with engines from BMW is zero.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by wemay

They are working on V6 3.5 twin turbo, but that is not on par with BMW B58.
Problem is that Toyota was out for A LONG time in this segment. It would cost too much money to develop things from scratch, and probability of being on par with engines from BMW is zero.

I would agree with everything you wrote except..."probability of being on par with engines from BMW is zero."
Toyota has the resources and the background. Whether they want to spend the capitol and time is another thing.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

B58 in Z4 I think develops 386hp.
This thing will easily go over 500hp.

I wouldn't doubt it. The only limiting factor would be the ZF8HP and rear grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back