Supertech Synthetic oil - 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got through to Warren Distributing's lab today and they assured me that ST Syn is a Group IV oil -- at 2.99 a quart -- that is a bargain or do I get what I pay for?

Sometimes you do get a lot for your money at Wally World. I just stocked up on Pennzoil 5w-30 for $5.46 for 3.78 liters nearly 1/2 of the regular price. For one liter of GC, I get 4 times the amt with Pennzoil!

I'm using it, it likes my motor and cold starts sound fine. At least it makes less noise than GTX. Considering the price, I'm dropping the idea of GC and am just gonna change more often (twice as often, same filter interval though). The decision was finally made when Frank of Auto-RX indicated that Syns may not be the best thing for older seals. Mine has 300,000kms.

In addition to the base oil, about 20% of a finished oil product is the additive package. There are better quality additives at higher prices and lower quality additives at lower prices. You know that everything with Wally's house brand is lowest of low bid. Here's just one additive maker's offerings showing three packages at three quality and price levels to blend GF-3 oils http://www.chevron.com/oronite/products/lubricating_oil_additives/automotive.asp

Ken

Ken makes a good point. A PAO synthetic with a poor additive package is probably not going to give you as good of a result as a group 3 synthetic with an excellent additive package (case in point, look at how well Schaeffer's blends do against some full synthetics)

I've argued that the group III, group IV deal is blown way out of line by Castrol haters, so I'm not going wild on this.

I dumped half a bottle in with my 5w30 ST dino change and will try to get a UOA. ST and Valvoline are blamed for having weak additive packs, but they both seem to do fine in the real world.

Why don't you run some out to 6000 miles and do a UOA. There's too much Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline in the analysis section-- I'd like to see people do a wider variety of brands.

As far as the quality of their additives, I thought most additives came from a handful of suppliers. If they're using group IV, you can bet that they're not doing that either. Warren is simply a blending and distribution house.

Look at the wide variety of people who have more than 150K on cars with low end dino. oils. This isn't rocket science....well maybe it is...

Currently running ST Blend 10w-30 -- ordered a test kit from Blackstone labs - will send one in about 4k. Now that Warren is merging with Coastal -- they have a full operation -- I.E. refining oil to making their own bottles. That is why the merger made sense to them. Has anybody used Supertech FULL Synth yet and what was their experience.

"Now that Warren is merging with Coastal..."

Huh???
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:

Why don't you run some out to 6000 miles and do a UOA. There's too much Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline in the analysis section-- I'd like to see people do a wider variety of brands.

I agree. It would be nice to see some more of the group three synthetics and 6000 mile intervals in our UOA section, someone from Canada should try the Canadian Tire Formula 1 synthetic, it's on sale this week, $19.99 for a 4L jug.

I'm trying out a group three synthetic in my mom's car, the Tech 2000 Walmart 0w30 (only in Canada I believe, and possibly made by Petro Canada)

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
"Now that Warren is merging with Coastal..."

Huh???
confused.gif

I posted this earlier this week, but it was subsequently consigned to the "Poop & Poppycock" (aka "to-heck-and-gone", aka "General and Off-Topic") forum.

[ January 09, 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by mehere:
Currently running ST Blend 10w-30 -- ordered a test kit from Blackstone labs - will send one in about 4k. Now that Warren is merging with Coastal -- they have a full operation -- I.E. refining oil to making their own bottles. That is why the merger made sense to them. Has anybody used Supertech FULL Synth yet and what was their experience.

Here is an UOA using the ST Full Syn SuperTech Full Syn UOA Discussion

When I'm using dino, the engine will become slightly more sluggish on starts as the oil ages and thickens, especially as winter hits. When I was running the full syn, startup was always fast and unaffected by cold. Not a large difference in Houston, but a noticable one. The full syn lasted longer too
tongue.gif

I read on another board that the Supertech synthetic is a group 3 oil,confirmed and assured by the Warren phone rep.Posted on Dec 15,2003.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
I read on another board that the Supertech synthetic is a group 3 oil,confirmed and assured by the Warren phone rep.Posted on Dec 15,2003.

I agree-its unlikely that ST is a PAO

I spoke to the guys in Omaha -- when the TECH answered the phone he said "Lab". I say it is a group IV -- I got the phone number from the Warren Distributing site which says Omaha with the Plant being across the river in Council Bluffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back