Supertech synthetic now meets GM 4718

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked and didn't see anything else on this so I thought I would mention it.
I was at a Walmart last week and saw Supertech synthetic in a new clear bottle and it said it now meets GM's 4718 spec.

They also had a few grades of the conventional in the new angular shaped bottles that everyone is saying are only SL rated but these were clearly SM marked.
There was one lonely bottle of the old M1 tri-synthetic formula (SJ I think----did one of you return this?
LOL.gif
) and guess what... the bottle shape matches the new Supertech bottles. I know, it doesn't mean anything but I love conspiracy theories.
grin2.gif

Quote:
They also had a few grades of the conventional in the new angular shaped bottles that everyone is saying are only SL rated but these were clearly SM marked.
Really? Been to the stores and unless there's a new supply in the last 4 days that say SM, the new bottles clearly only say SL. Go to this thread for pics.

Only SM I saw was old XOM ST bottle 30 weight, ST5w20 WPP and ST Synthetic weights.
21.gif

Hmmmm......

Let's just say I have my doubts that ST syn 'actually meets' 4718M - not an easy spec to meet at the price point its sold at....

Yes, yes, I know - PP is cheap and meets it, BUT, PP is a loss leader for SOPUS, and ST syn is sold by Warren to make a profit.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Really? Been to the stores and unless there's a new supply in the last 4 days that say SM, the new bottles clearly only say SL. Go to this thread for pics.

Only SM I saw was old XOM ST bottle 30 weight, ST5w20 WPP and ST Synthetic weights.
21.gif

Ok. Now I'm confused too. Walmart must have two versions of the new oil / label. I didn't get a picture and, of course, this store is not in my normal travels, but I definitely noticed the SM/SL rating because of reading about it here. The bottle I saw was shaped like that but the label graphics were completely different.

This store had 4 differently shaped bottles. Conventional, depending on weight, was in the Ex-Mob bottle, the old WPP bottle, and the new angular bottle. Synthetic was in the old WPP bottle and the new clear bottle that was shaped very similar but not exactly the same as the clear Quaker State bottles.

One thing that I am sure of, they were all SM.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Hmmmm......

Let's just say I have my doubts that ST syn 'actually meets' 4718M - not an easy spec to meet at the price point its sold at....

Yes, yes, I know - PP is cheap and meets it, BUT, PP is a loss leader for SOPUS, and ST syn is sold by Warren to make a profit.

I hear ya. I'm just passing along what I read on the bottle.

The bottles were very close in shape to Q-HP which is 4718 though....
55.gif

If PP is a loss leader - what oil makes money for SOPUS?

They all do...its just that to promote PP, and get market share away from M1, SOPUS has had to sell PP for a while at what I suspect is a minimal profit, if any.

SOPUS probably make most of its money from gasoline refining and selling.

Government Motors is still very much in existance but will probably be run like Amtrack and not turn a profit for the next 40 years
shocked2.gif

The CLEAR bottle that meets the GM4718 is the synthetic. The pics are the blue dino.

The clear bottle has in on the label that it meets that spec and is SM rated.
Originally Posted By: Canawler
Hmmmm......

55.gif

i havent seen the new st syn bottles in NH, pretty cool they made the GM 4718 though

Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
The CLEAR bottle that meets the GM4718 is the synthetic. The pics are the blue dino.

The clear bottle has in on the label that it meets that spec and is SM rated.
Originally Posted By: Canawler
Hmmmm......

55.gif

Walked past the auto section of the local WM yesterday. They had the synthetic in clear bottles next to the old style bottles. The new clear bottles were SM rated and the wpp was on the bottom of the bottle.

My 2 local WM's only have the ST synthetic in the clear bottle in 10w30. Does it come in 5w30?

Hmmm...the Supertech Synthetic 5w/30 here is marked SM/CF...has been for at least a year now. I can't find a bottle of anything other than SM in any brand of oil. I've been trying to find some for my Honda Fatcat (wetclutch) since SM hit the market.

Man, I can't wait to drain the PP out of my 'Vette and throw in 5 1/2 qts. of Super Tech Synthetic.
banana2.gif

I can apply the $4 I'll be saving per change to my $849/month car loan.
LOL.gif

Just hope my $10,000 to replace LS2 doesn't blow up in a month or two from using the top of the line Warren lubricating elixir.

And maybe I can pick up a couple of Autozone's Valucraft filters for it too. Anyone know the right number on the filter????

I agree but it has to be true if not that's false advertising a no no,they wouldn't risk that.

cool bottles seen them today for the first time.

Originally Posted By: daman

I agree but it has to be true if not that's false advertising a no no,they wouldn't risk that.

cool bottles seen them today for the first time.

I don't know the particulars of the GM 4718M spec ..but if it's anything like the Sequence IIIG test, it's a PASS:FAIL test. Many oils PASS better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back