Supertech synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I'd prefer the synthetic Super-Tech over any dino oil. My engines have performed CONSIDERABLY better in the cold w/ the synth ST than with Pennzoil Dino oil. As for wear/analysis - the jury's still out.

Patman

Staff member
I know we've talked about Supertech synthetic on here, but he's referring to their blend. Keep in mind that it'll only be a 10% group 3 base oil at best in that oil, so it's really not anything special. The group 3 based blends probably aren't much better than dino oils, but cost more.

I've searched for info in regards to "supertech synthetic oil", I was wondering if anyone has tried the supertech synthetic blend 10W-30, I know that it isn't a true synthetic, but it claims to perform better than any dino oil (on the bottle) and it's $1.63 a quart at the local Wallmart (cheaper than some of the conventional oils) If it's a blend then I'm assuming that at least 90% of the oil is regular supertech oil and about 10% supertech synthetic? Thoughts?

metroplex

I've never seen the blend. Just dino and synthetic! They have a new synthetic 10W-30 that is API SL/ILSAC GF-3. Prior to that the only synth ST oil that met API SL/GF-3 was the 5W-30.

I was thinking about using the Supertech 5W-30 blend in my 4.0L Wrangler (plow Jeep), or the Chevron Supreme as mentioned above. I am about ready to change it for the season (only used in winter). I figure the 5W will be better for cold weather startups. [Confused] And a Supertech ST16 filter [Cool] -John [Cool]

Al

quote:
Originally posted by Hubjeep: I was thinking about using the Supertech 5W-30 blend in my 4.0L Wrangler (plow Jeep), or the Chevron Supreme as mentioned above. I am about ready to change it for the season (only used in winter). I figure the 5W will be better for cold weather startups. [Confused] And a Supertech ST16 filter [Cool] -John [Cool]
Go with the Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, or Motorcraft before the Supertech. If you go with Dino-I would go with the 5W vs 10 W . Supertech makes a god filter though. Do a search under "Used Oil Analysis" to get some reports for the 4.0 L engine. [Smile]

I just put almost 7000 miles on the super tech full syn 10 W 30. Lab report to follow.

Originally posted by Al: "Supertech makes a god filter though." Gee Al I like their filters too but just not as much as you I suppose!! [Big Grin] [ October 08, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Chris ]

Here's the data sheets for the oil which is identical to Mag 1. Interestingly enough the 5W30 shows a pour point of -42F and the 10W30 shows a pour point of -48F. Grav API32.7 Spec. Grav. .86 Visc 40c cSt 60.9 100c 10.4 Pour point -42 Visc. index 162 Low temp visc. <[email protected] High temp/high sheer visc. 2.89 NOACK vol. % off <15

I have two cars serviced with walmart 5W30 blend, in the red plastic jug. I looked for the cheapest oil with the specs that meet the GMC and Ford requirements. One is a 97 taurus 3.0 with 105k and the other is a 2002 GMC Serria 5.3 with 12k. So far so good the taurus doesn't clang and bang and the GMC doesn't make wierd ticks on start up. Time will tell. I have an 88 chev pickup with 225K that has been services with the cheapest Walmart 10W40 oil for years, still runs good and uses about a qt every 4K or 5k miles. The GMC doesn't get driven every day so start ups are some times a week apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.