Supertech Syn users check in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems this oil has been getting bashed lately. After I use up my 36 quart stash of chevron supreme I'm considering giving this a try. Would like to know your personal experience with this stuff. Any links or used UOA to report on it would be good also. If you have never used and just want to slam on it because "itz chieeep oil" your opinion is valued here also. Just let every one know you've never used it before stating your comments.

I started using it about 9mo ago and the jury is still out. On my Honda 2.3Lt engine I averaged about 33to36 MPG before ST SYN, Castrol dino. When I switched my mileage went to 36to40 BUT that was at the time they allowed the gasoline to not be so blended.
Since it is cheeep oil I change at 4K miles or 4mo as I'm old school and still trying to get of the 3K/M schedule.
I use Chev on the wife's Mazda Protege and change at 3K/M as she is tough on cars and the owners manual still calls for it under extreme conditions.

Muddying the ST synthetic issue is the fact that the latest bottles in some areas no longer carry the "WPP" imprimatur on their bottoms. Who's blending and bottling the latest stuff, now?

I have the WPP Supertech 10W-30 in my sons Taurus now. It might be a few months before he racks up the 5K miles we want to run it and then I'll have a UOA...

That brings up an interesting point Ray. I checked my Walmart yesterday and the 5 quart jugs of 10w30 had WPP on the bottom. I'm most interested in knowing who the supplier is for the base oil that is used, and if the base oil is 100% group 3 before the add pack goes in? Would be nice if we could find somebody who works in the plant where this is blended and bottled. I'm also curious how they can keep the price so low if it is indeed 100% group 3 base oil.

I use it in the winter, 5w30 variety. Cars always start and don't sound too horrible on subzero days. Never UOA'd. Very pale color makes dipstick checking hard, otherwise, no complaints.

I would not mind trying it if I knew for sure it was a 2nd generation type Group III base oil. If it was a old school Group III base wouldn't be to interested. Does anyone know?

I hear ya Hirev.

I have a gallon of this, but I haven't used it yet.

I can understand the low TBNs in the UOAs (per the add packs), but I don't get why it seems to shear easy, unless it is old school or some brew that is just a bit better than Group II+.

It's probably not based on Shell's latest technology (used by USA Castrol)

Both cars seem to like the stuff. I have about 40,000 miles on the chevrolet metro with this oil (total of 108k miles). The little 1.3 engine really likes this oil; Purrs nicely at highway/interstate plus speeds.

I drive 148 miles every work day. The car is VERY picky about which oil and which filter is in it. It either purrs or pings. The car likes most good synthetic oils and bosch, syntec or the pur-1 filters. It don't run as smooth a thousand miles after a dino oil change. The car runs badly on fram filters.

The price at Walmart yesterday was the same as dino high milage oil or half the price as "1" ($13.xx).

I LIKE the oil.

I have used it with good results. No engines blown up, no sludge formation. I have never done a UOA, by the time you spend the money on that you could have another oil change done. I dont see how the oil could do any damage if ran for 5000oci. Run it and sleep well.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
I'd never buy Supertech oil or oil filters. I've read articles on Walmart's purchasing practices. One of those practices is that since they purchase such huge amounts of a thing at a time they can, and often allegedly do, force the manufacturer to make the thing to Walmart's specs, specs that make it cheaper to produce and thus cheaper for Walmart to buy from the manufacturer. Canned and bottled food for example. The result is that the brand of a thing that you get at Walmart is not the same thing as the same brand purchased elsewhere. If, for example, its ketchup, the Walmart version of the brand may have less tomatoes and more water in it than the same brand bought elsewhere. Who's to say that Walmart is not doing this kind of thing with motor oil?

So WalMart Pennzoil has even MORE bees wax in it?
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Jmacmaster, if that is true, I can almost assure you any of the other chains who have their own "brand" of oil are doing something similar if not exactly the same.

Back on topic, I have a mixture of one quart Super Tech synthetic and two quarts regular Super Tech in my wife's Nissan Sentra. Car runs great with it, I only plan to keep it in there for a short amount of time though. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any other vehicle, but not sure how long of an OCI I would run it.

quote:

Originally posted by ConfederateTyrant:
Jmacmaster, if that is true, I can almost assure you any of the other chains who have their own "brand" of oil are doing something similar if not exactly the same.

Nobody else has the volume to push around vendors like WM.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermactor:

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
I'd never buy Supertech oil or oil filters. I've read articles on Walmart's purchasing practices. One of those practices is that since they purchase such huge amounts of a thing at a time they can, and often allegedly do, force the manufacturer to make the thing to Walmart's specs, specs that make it cheaper to produce and thus cheaper for Walmart to buy from the manufacturer. Canned and bottled food for example. The result is that the brand of a thing that you get at Walmart is not the same thing as the same brand purchased elsewhere. If, for example, its ketchup, the Walmart version of the brand may have less tomatoes and more water in it than the same brand bought elsewhere. Who's to say that Walmart is not doing this kind of thing with motor oil?

So WalMart Pennzoil has even MORE bees wax in it?
thumbsdown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

no wonder their milk tastes funny and those boxes of wine don't get me drunk like they should
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlueWorld:

quote:

Originally posted by ConfederateTyrant:

Nobody else has the volume to push around vendors like WM.

If it says SM, it's SM or Wal-Mart has a potentially huge suit on their hands. It makes no business sense from the suppliers' perspecitves to retool/reformulate just for Wal-Mart. If Wal-Mart is their only customer, sure. But last time I checked, SOPUS and ExxonMobil did a substantial amount of business outside of Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back