supertech syn 5W30 or Pennzoil Gold 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theyre both $17.47 at Wal mart for a 5 quart jug, undecided which i should go with, both Dexos approved and both seem to be good oils, I've used the Supertech 5W30 with no problems in a few vehicles. The vehicle in question is my grandmothers 2008 Accord with the K24 four cylinder that just turned 123k miles. She's 75, retired as of two years ago so she doesnt put as many miles as she used to, she hopes to get another 10 years out of the car, as she says, if she lives that long. Everything that has been done recently includes transmission fluid change, coolant, PCV valve, and it just got a new starter. I'll do the spark plugs soon. I plan on doing 5k oil changes with either of the above oils with a Fram TG filter. The car is short tripped, but 4 days a week she takes it on a 30 mile round trip to visit friends, so at least all the fluids are hot. When I drive it I take it up to 4-5k rpm when I can(She never goes over 2.5k rpm lol). So which oil would better suit the car, and is my maintenance plan sound?

Just about any oil will work fine. Though IMO Most Hondas are oil burners so you might look into Havoline HM. It's very cheap at Walmart. Or Valvoline Maxlife.

I like Fram TG filters but it's probably overkill for 5K changes. I'd just put the ST filter on it.

The two WalMarts around here dont stock the Havoline HM unfortunately. It seems to burn less with the Supertech 5W30 syn, I've run it in this car before.

If price is the same, the Supertech Syn is a better deal, since Penn Gold is a blend.
Or, you could use Pennzoil Dino, which is probably cheaper than both.
Either one should be fine, though.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
The two WalMarts around here dont stock the Havoline HM unfortunately. It seems to burn less with the Supertech 5W30 syn, I've run it in this car before.

Then I'd probably go with whichever burns less. In this case the ST Syn. Less worry of it running low between changes.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Though IMO Most Hondas are oil burners so ...

2.4L 4 cylinders? What? I have owned two of them. I can go 10K miles without checking the oil and the oil will still be between add and full on the dipstick.

Personally, I'd get the SuperTech. If it's an oil burner, you could try MaxLife. They're both the same price at Walmart. If those are the original plugs at 123k, you need to change them ASAP.

Last edited:
I have used both the Penn Gold and the Super Tech Syn and I think you will be fine with either. The Penn Gold from my understanding is a 50/50 blend with a stronger additive package than the Super Tech. Again , I don't think your car will have any performance difference or gain any engine benefits from using one over the other. Sounds like you have a good maintenance program don't forget to check the suspension , ball joints, flush the power steering fluid, and check the brakes.

ST syn is an approved Dexos full synthetic. Might not be as robust as other full syns but Dexos is a tight spec for approval and is a full versus semi syn

May fav oil in that range (actually a price step BELOW) is Pennzoil HM in the bronze bottle. I have used and disliked P gold SS. Formulations change though.
The Synthetic advertising term means nothing in your application.

Last edited:
Six or one-half dozen. I would probably go with Supertech at that pricepoint. My problem is that Pennzoil is a great product but in a no-mans land price-wise. If you can find a great sub $2.50 or 3/qt deal, it is great. But if it is occupying that lower-end Synthetic pricepoint, I will go with the Synthetic. Otherwise, other conventional will do just as well at a lower price (Havoline, Mobil Super, etc).

I also second the Havoline option as well. That is what I tend to use. That or Napa when it is $2-3/qt.

Personally, I would run autozone clearance oil as they are very hard to beat (price wise). But of the 2 u mentioned, I vote for super tech w a ST oil filter

I'd pick up the Pennzoil Platinum jug for $24.97. Submit the $10 rebate and get it for $14.97. Better oil, better price. So far in 2017 I'm not aware of any Pennzoil Plat rebates that have been rejected/not paid in a timely manner.

Last time I was in Walmart a couple weeks ago they were $22.47 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back