SuperTech ST8A Cut Open - Unknown mileage [Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I recently bought a 1994 Ford Explorer as a non-running parts vehicle. I've since done a little work to get it running, just to see what I have. Naturally, I did an oil change on it since I know nothing about it's history. It looked like the oil filter had been on there a little while, quite possibly one of those "change the oil but not the filter" kind of owners. The vehicle did sit for a couple years so I could be wrong on that last bit. Anyway, I took apart the filter and made a video about it. I'm not super knowledgeable or an oil pro by any means, I just like to take a peek inside and see what's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_i9lO_otgU

I do have a question for the knowledgeable guys out there, towards the end of the video, those shiny bits, they seem to me to be hardened/baked carbon. Does that seem right? They didn't quite look like chunks of a bearing or something. The engine runs really nicely, smooth & no rattling/tapping/knocking. Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Ga129
Is it possible that the shiny pieces were just pieces from the filter housing when you cut it?

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. I still have the filter, maybe I'll go run a magnet over it.

wink.gif

Check the bottom of the can for a date code.
Might give you a clue as to how long it was in use.

Iirc, supertech filters went the way of the dodo bird 4 or 5 years ago.

Judging by the gasket, it had been on there quite some time. You probably saved yourself some heartache by changing it before it rattled loose on its own.

Thanks for posting.
I kinda miss the super tech filters. There are some vehicles that lend themselves to saving a buck where you can (talking about mine, not yours)

To find out if it is metal or carbon deposits, there is a easy way. Get a Hammer and a hard surface to smash it all, with a few drops of oil. What dissolves is deposits, what only change its shape, is metal...

A Magnet won't work in non ferrous metals.

Understanding that because this vehicle was bought used, it has an unknown O/FCI history.

However, the ST filter itself looked completely normal and fine. Absolutely nothing to fear in that regard. Decent construction and very typical for the application. I realize there is conversation regarding the particulate found, but the filter itself did exactly what it was supposed to do.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with the crud in the filter yet but I did verify that the filter was made in August of 2010. 5 years old, yikes! Really glad it's got new oil & filter on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back