Supertech over Redline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scenario: You have a fixed income coming in that could be used strictly for oil changes. Certain amount every 10k miles. Let's say $60. Vehicle takes 5 quarts per OCI. Would you spend that $60 on Redline (or Amsoil) for one 10k mile OCI or would you spend it on two 5k OCIs with Mobil 1? Or, if you could get store brand synthetic (Smitty's or Supertech) at the price of $12 per 5 quarts, would you rather change it five times at 2k OCIs? Let's say the oil changes are done for you free of charge and for all 10k there will be on one Fram Ultra filter. So given these circumstances which of the listed options would be the best for the engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also some will say that frequent oil changes cause extra iron wear, but I have seen a few VOAs where Iron was already present in virgin sample and Blackstone commented that it is quite typical. So I don't believe in extra wear from frequent changes, rather consider it an oil manufacturing error/byproduct.

I would run Mobil 1 EP or 0w-40 or Castrol euro oil over Redline oil for the miles. Less cost and probably better.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I would run Mobil 1 EP or 0w-40 or Castrol euro oil over Redline oil for the miles. Less cost and probably better.

Well, cost aside, how would Castrol 0w40 or M1 EP be better? Isn't Redline ester based? I believe Amsoil is PAO&Ester, correct me if I'm wrong. And M1 at best has just some PAO in it... Just wondering...

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
$60 on Redline (or Amsoil) for one 10k mile OCI or would you spend it on two 5k OCIs with Mobil 1?

Are you related to the Russian on the Fast Lane youtube show? I feel like I answered this before. Since I don't change my own oil, my scenario is:

- Pay $15 labor every 2000 miles (Supertech)
- Pay $15 labor twice (M1).
- Pay $15 labor once (redline)

It's obvious which is cheaper. And one more thing: Mobil 1 Extended Performance is every bit as good as Amsoil, but costs far less (~6/quart versus 11/quart), and can run 15000 miles. So I only pay $28+15== $43
38.gif

Where do you get this - ? so one of the largest actual producers of PAO "might" put some in oil they have the courage and conviction to put 15k on the bottle and have some OEM credibility as well ?

I believe Amsoil is PAO & Ester, correct me if I'm wrong. And M1 at best has just some PAO in it... Just wondering...

You and ARCO should get together. If it were me, I'd pay most attention to the last sentence in their response.

And where are you getting the information for Mobil 1? Actually never mind, I think I know where you are getting it.

Quote:
What kind of base stocks does AMSOIL use? Are AMSOIL synthetic lubricants PAO-based?

Answer: AMSOIL maintains formulation details as proprietary and does not divulge specifics regarding the type of synthetic base stocks used in its synthetic lubricants. AMSOIL developed the world’s first API-qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972 and has remained the leader in the synthetic lubricant industry by continually researching new technologies and demanding only the highest-quality raw materials. As the company moves forward with new technologies it is increasingly more important that this information remains proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives, with each having its own set of unique properties. AMSOIL does not insist on a particular type of base stock, but insists on particular performance parameters. AMSOIL chooses whichever synthetic base stock or combination of base stocks delivers the desired result and tailors its lubricants to be application-specific (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperatures, etc.). At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters

Why not go Mobil 1 EP for 10K miles? It's supposed to be good up to 15K miles. No reason to change it at 5K if you're willing to go 10K or more on any other motor oil.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
$60 on Redline (or Amsoil) for one 10k mile OCI or would you spend it on two 5k OCIs with Mobil 1?

Are you related to the Russian on the Fast Lane youtube show? I feel like I answered this before. Since I don't change my own oil, my scenario is:

- Pay $15 labor every 2000 miles (Supertech)
- Pay $15 labor twice (M1).
- Pay $15 labor once (redline)

It's obvious which is cheaper. And one more thing: Mobil 1 Extended Performance is every bit as good as Amsoil, but costs far less (~6/quart versus 11/quart), and can run 15000 miles. So I only pay $28+15== $43
38.gif

I did mention the fact that oil changes are done free of charge and one Fram Ultra filter will be on the engine for the 10k duration.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

And where are you getting the information for Mobil 1? Actually never mind, I think I know where you are getting it.

...It's obvious. I get that info from Russian Hackers.... #russiansdidit lol

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Pennzoil Platinum / Edge / QSUD and a Fram Ultra for 10,000 miles. Done.
Yes, true. But I guess my main questions is - for the same cost would you prefer one OCI of boutiques synthetics or multiple OCIs of store brand synthetics. Considering your cost stays the same per 10k miles. Would an engine be cleaner and more efficient if all the byproducts of combustion and heating cycles are washed out with frequent oil changes, or would the engine be happier with one boutiques oil that just collects all the byproducts and holds it in suspension for 10k miles?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Well, cost aside, how would Castrol 0w40 or M1 EP be better? Isn't Redline ester based? I believe Amsoil is PAO&Ester, correct me if I'm wrong. And M1 at best has just some PAO in it... Just wondering...

Because final product is much more important then base stock. Base stock is one of the ingredients.
Did you ever ask yourself why Redline dos not have a single approval? Approvals are cheap, very cheap.
SO to answer your question, I am personally not sure would I run Redline in my BMW single mile considering how expensive emission system is and they do not have approval.
On other hand, I would run M1 5W30 ESP 11K interval with no sweat, though I change it at 5K due to severe case of OCD.

Scenario: You have a fixed income coming in that could be used strictly for oil changes. Certain amount every 10k miles. Let's say $60. Vehicle takes 5 quarts per OCI. Would you spend that $60 on Redline (or Amsoil) for one 10k mile OCI or would you spend it on two 5k OCIs with Mobil 1? Or, if you could get store brand synthetic (Smitty's or Supertech) at the price of $12 per 5 quarts, would you rather change it five times at 2k OCIs? Let's say the oil changes are done for you free of charge and for all 10k there will be on one Fram Ultra filter. So given these circumstances which of the listed options would be the best for the engine?

What a waste of time and oil even if it's the same "cost". 2k miles interval with cheap oil or one 10k mile run with slightly more expensive synthetic? Are you really asking which one saves the most? Even if the money is the same, that's 5 unnecessary oil changes.

A 10k mile interval can be done on most high quality name brand full synthetic oils. With only a 5 qt sump, jugs being on sale and easy to find, you should be able to do an oil change for $30 bucks and spend the other $30 you saved on a copay for OCD counseling.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

...It's obvious. I get that info from Russian Hackers.... #russiansdidit lol

I think it's obvious to me (and others in this thread) that it came from somewhere else.

I would purchase one Fram Ultra filter for my Accord. $7.50 on sale at PepBoys. Run that for the 10k mile interval. I would run the Supertech at 5k intervals.

No shame in my game.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Pennzoil Platinum / Edge / QSUD and a Fram Ultra for 10,000 miles. Done.
Yes, true. But I guess my main questions is - for the same cost would you prefer one OCI of boutiques synthetics or multiple OCIs of store brand synthetics. Considering your cost stays the same per 10k miles. Would an engine be cleaner and more efficient if all the byproducts of combustion and heating cycles are washed out with frequent oil changes, or would the engine be happier with one boutiques oil that just collects all the byproducts and holds it in suspension for 10k miles?

I see where you're going with this, but I think this is also where the disconnect is.

Personally, I don't buy into the whole 'boutique oils are better' thing. I would rather trust my engine to an extended OCI on a proven, trusted oil, like QSUD, PP, M1, etc.. over the boutique oils which don't have a certification. I KNOW that QSUD, PP, and M1 have SN certification and strong track records.

Heck, for that matter, I KNOW that SuperTech synthetic has SN certification, and I'd rather spend the $17 on that, and run a 10k OCI than spend 2x or 3x that amount and run a boutique oil that may or may not meet the requirements of my engine.

Why spend the extra money on the boutique oil when an off-the-shelf top-quality product like PP or M1 will get you just as far (if not farther) for less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back