Supertech Oil Filter Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, I'm quite sure I was able to find ST oil filter specs, but now I can't find them. Anyone know if they are searchable?

I am trying to determine (from the specs) if the new ST9688 filter is compatible with the ST6607 for my 2015 Altima. I like that the ST9688 has a larger capacity (don't know if that is really important; it just "seems" better) and that the ST9688 fits my filter wrenches (strap and also cap style tools). Thanks.
Gerald

If you don't have an engine block diameter restriction ring around the filter, the 9688 could work. I know for a fact from personal experience, the 9688/3593a, 51334 size will not fit a 2017 2.5L Rogue because of the restriction ring. So, you need to look at the area around the oil filter.

Really the 6607 is big enough for a regularly maintained engine. If you want to upsize a tad, the 7317 application size is a good choice. I realize not available in ST though.

Edit. Using PaulsTravelPics inked for 2015 Altima 2.5L oil filter location, the 9688 will not fit.

https://paulstravelpictures.com/2013-2015-Nissan-Altima-QR25DE-I4-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/index.html

Last edited:
I used to use the 7317 on my ATV instead of the 6607 because it is about 3/4 longer...but I haven't seen 7317s on the shelf for a while now.

Originally Posted by Al
Worry more about filtering efficiency than size.

Thanks for all the replies. And, I agree the filtering efficiency is very important. So, I sure would like to see the Supertech specs. If the specs are not able to be found on the 'net, that would be a major reason to not buy them, but I'm thinking they are available and I just have not found them?
Gerald

Last edited:
The Wix made ST had an efficiency spec on the box iirc. It wasn't spectacular, but most folks buying the jobber/value tier ST aren't too concerned about efficiency specs imo.

The linked site has an efficiency for the ST under the ST 6607 heading. Is it authoritative? I have no idea. I don't believe the media "stiff synthetic material". So whether the efficiency listing can be trusted, I'm skeptical without more confirming information. That said, could be. Site information been reviewed this sub forum before, consensus, a marketing and promotion puff piece.

https://10carbest.com/supertech-oil-filters

So, apparently there are no Supertech specifications available on the web. For now I'll assume the change over to Champion Labs is delaying such publication and that the specs will be available eventually. We should at least be able to see the same kind of info Wix or Fram and many other filter brands publish. Probably they won't specify things like which kind of ADBV/By-Pass valves, nitrile or silicone, or E-core, but physical size, by-pass pressure, flow rate, presence of ADBV, and micron rating should be shown.

Anyway, I took a chance and bought a ST9688 for my 2015 Altima 2.5l and found that the gasket size was close enough to the size of the Nissan filter to not make a difference and that the ST9688 fit in the recess on the filter mount with no problem. So, if the specifications show up, I'll have more confidence in Walmart's filter sourcing and may buy another one at the next oil change.
Gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back