supertech oil bad for your credit rating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
17credit.1-650.jpg

Link

OK, so how does a cedit reporting company know whether you bought Supertech oil or Mobil1 oil? Also, how do they know if you bought it for yourself or not.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Has it really come to this?

What next? Thought Police?

Where have you been SD456?
We have had Thought Police for political correctness for quite awhile now. It's sort of a modern leftist version of McCarthyism.

BTW I think keeping on top of your car's oil needs, whether just topping it off or changing it, shows more responsibility than the alternatives.

Dang it, I knew I should have used YB instead of ST for the clean ARx phase... Better get out there and buy some extra CO monitors and get my teeth cleaned again.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
OK, so how does a cedit reporting company know whether you bought Supertech oil or Mobil1 oil? Also, how do they know if you bought it for yourself or not.

I don't know if the CRA's know this, but I do know credit card companies track this information.

One of my former customers is one of the major credit card brands (not to be confused with the banks that actually issue the cards, set the rates etc.) They provide the brand and the network that allows the member banks to exchange information.

They collect data on where you are shopping and I imagine what you are buying as well. They can mine that data and sell it to folks who want to target their marketing. I don't know if it goes to an individual, but suspect it can, so when you use your card, I imagine the brand (I.E. Discover, MasterCard, Visa, Amex) have information about your purchasing habits and will sell that info to whomever is willing to pay.

You probably agree to those terms when you accept your card and begin using it.

So if you don't want folks to know what you are doing, use cash.

So they mention cheap oil but use a Mobil 1 bottle with a different label? Is it that hard to find an old cardboard oil can laying around?

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
So they mention cheap oil but use a Mobil 1 bottle with a different label? Is it that hard to find an old cardboard oil can laying around?

It's not an M1 bottle. What Mobil 1 uses a blue cap...

Let's go to hair color next. Blonds make more mistakes, so they present more risk. This will be offset somewhat by their propensity to stay employed.

You'd be amazed at what's tracked nowdays. I'm not exactly surprised by this announcement because I've noticed the little coupon printers at the grocery store spit out coupons for things I bought the last time I was there. This is at stores without a "club card" or their own credit card.

For a while I had a 100+ mile (round-trip) commute and was filling my truck's tank every other day. I tended to use my Shell credit card due to the rebate program they had at the time. I moved closer to my job and dropped back to my once a week fill-ups, and about 3 months later I got a letter from Shell stating that they "noticed my card usage dropped off and wanted to remind me of the quality gasoline I could be getting if I stuck with Shell." This was back in the late 90's.

Funny how I got a gas station coupon for 91 gas a few months after I got my car, and how buying a PC from DELL small business gets me offer to many business credit cards with rebates.

But the supermarket I shop never printed the right coupon for what I buy, and they still haven't get around the security issue on limiting only one coupon or rebate per household.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

I don't know if the CRA's know this, but I do know credit card companies track this information.

One of my former customers is one of the major credit card brands (not to be confused with the banks that actually issue the cards, set the rates etc.) They provide the brand and the network that allows the member banks to exchange information.

They collect data on where you are shopping and I imagine what you are buying as well. They can mine that data and sell it to folks who want to target their marketing. I don't know if it goes to an individual, but suspect it can, so when you use your card, I imagine the brand (I.E. Discover, MasterCard, Visa, Amex) have information about your purchasing habits and will sell that info to whomever is willing to pay.

You probably agree to those terms when you accept your card and begin using it.

So if you don't want folks to know what you are doing, use cash.

Yes, that's normal and makes a lot of sense. But the credit reporting agencies do not get that data so it does not affect your credit rating as measured by your credit score as the title of this thread implied.

If I were a lender, I would want to know more about my customers than just one number.

I've seen more of what PandaBear sees in terms of coupons printed at the checkout. A coupon for an item I have, but from a competitor.

I just figured they were trying to entice me to try their product and paid the store to print coupons when their item was NOT chosen.

Why give a coupon for something you already buy? I suppose it could be a gesture of good will.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Why give a coupon for something you already buy? I suppose it could be a gesture of good will.

TO make sure you are a repeat customer and don't use a competitor's coupon to buy that competitor's product (if they have determined that a competitor's coupon will take sales away from them in a material way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back