Supertech may be changing

It doesn’t matter to me. I don’t own a GM vehicle. If the certification is on the label, I don’t bother looking for it and the certification doesn’t effect my purchase on way or the other. Motorcraft oil doesn’t have the Dexos certification but, It meets the Ford specification for my vehicle and the latest API specifications. Similar situation with VW 508.00/509.00.
Right but as I added later, what is being referenced and contrasted in this thread are dreams of moly and other "additives" that aren't even additives. With licenses such as dexos and approvals you've listed there are actual performance guarantees. No one here is able to predict the incremental future performance of an oil from a VOA or UOA despite this endless speculation. Between a $30 spectrographic analysis and a dexos license I know which one I'll pick.

I don’t own a GM vehicle.
Outside of the specs from German-based automakers, DEXOS is the main one that's out there. I don't own a GM either and don't care about DEXOS oil spec, in fact, I pay ZERO attention to the spec(s) on the engine oil I buy. I do buy brand-name oils so I know they're perfectly fine.

I used to use Supertech Full Synthetic in my cars and truck mainly because of price point for a quality product. Now ST is higher priced than Pennzoil, or Mobil One, or Castrol -- depending on which one of those is on sale at Walmart. ST may be a quality product, but so are the others, and my loyalty goes to my wallet.

You have quoted a syn. oil. I was talking about the high mileage syn blend that Mag1 has.
Correct, But my last sentence in that post reads "HLW Full Synthetic Premium product looks like the old package (note: volatility is near Dexos limit) Maybe just transition to (running) that."

I guess the full synthetic Mag 1 will cost more, but I can't get a handle on prices of this lubricant; and maybe you just don't want to run a Full Synthetic.

As to your other question, I would prefer Valvoline would remain a majority U.S.A. owned and run business, But if the Saudi's keep the workforce employed and sustain or improve the product I am not going to get in a tizzy over top level ownership. Sam Mitchell is still the C.E.O. The stock is publicly traded. Historically Aramco was a Texaco and Esso venture with the Saudi's - I am sure other are more well versed on this history lesson than my simplistic and woefully incomplete "Double Jeopardy !" answer. Much scarier to me is ARAMCO 100% owning the largest refinery in Texas - and the U.S. !

I think most recently, I was somewhat upset with Castrol phasing out of their Magnatec line, one of the better oils out there - and I don't have any love for any other Castrol products in their ILSAC offerings. Lot's of slippery fish in the oil pond - I moved on.

Those prices may be history.
I just spent $35 bucks on #2 oil yesterday heating my house for one day.

Log Cabin + 22 degrees Fahrenheit + Gale winds = Brrr ! and Ouch !

Those prices may be history.
LOL Well at 78 I probably have a lifetime supply in the stash. Good thing when I stop at the dealership yesterday to find out some things on my first service Items they check etc. They informed me LOL that my car required Full Synthetic which it doesn't but that the Full Synthetic change just itself was $99. No thanks I'll do that change myself with likely Mobil 1 for under $30.

I used to use Supertech Full Synthetic in my cars and truck mainly because of price point for a quality product. Now ST is higher priced than Pennzoil, or Mobil One, or Castrol -- depending on which one of those is on sale at Walmart. ST may be a quality product, but so are the others, and my loyalty goes to my wallet.
I just went to Walmart tonight and ST HM full synthetic was $21.48 while Pennzoil Platinum HM was $26.44 and Mobil 1 HM was $29.97.

I do not understand this recent talk about ST becoming higher priced than the big name brands. Maybe that happened for a brief moment as old inventory was clearing out or something, but that is not the way it really is. ST still has a big price advantage like it always has.

I just went to Walmart tonight and ST HM full synthetic was $21.48 while Pennzoil Platinum HM was $26.44 and Mobil 1 HM was $29.97.

I do not understand this recent talk about ST becoming higher priced than the big name brands. Maybe that happened for a brief moment as old inventory was clearing out or something, but that is not the way it really is. ST still has a big price advantage like it always has.
The one I struggle with is Quaker State...they are the same price.

Does it still meet various specs, i.e. DEXOS ?
ST All mileage isn't dexos certified. I am not the one that keeps implying that my thread was political. Again have not several of those that have posted not questioned the new ownership of Fram? How many Have questions the ADBV being possibly changed? Have some not questioned the new ownership of Valvoline? We're they political because the name of the new owners were mentioned? Yes I know that there are different kinds of moly, yes I know that there are different additives and yes I know that there are different elements. It just seems odd to me that since its under new ownership that things have changed. There is a difference to some when it comes to an oil when it says that it exceeds SP and all previous categories and ST saying it meets them. As I said in an earlier post,if they had been read by some, that this may be the new norm and if it is, the majors will lower or change their additives also. If they don't then it looks to me like ST is being made cheaper. Why is that hard for some to understand?

ST All mileage isn't dexos certified. I am not the one that keeps implying that my thread was political. Again have not several of those that have posted not questioned the new ownership of Fram? How many Have questions the ADBV being possibly changed? Have some not questioned the new ownership of Valvoline? We're they political because the name of the new owners were mentioned? Yes I know that there are different kinds of moly, yes I know that there are different additives and yes I know that there are different elements. It just seems odd to me that since its under new ownership that things have changed. There is a difference to some when it comes to an oil when it says that it exceeds SP and all previous categories and ST saying it meets them. As I said in an earlier post,if they had been read by some, that this may be the new norm and if it is, the majors will lower or change their additives also. If they don't then it looks to me like ST is being made cheaper. Why is that hard for some to understand?
Not really. For one thing you have no idea what portions of the requirements for the license are being exceeded. It could very well be some completely inconsequential specification and is being exceeded by 0.1%.

But beyond that even though the language appears to be different it really is not. It's marketing not technical.

Back