Supertech may be changing

I don't need no "mansplaning" . I think it is quite odd that some can not control themselves to the point that they must insult someone. I am quite sure that HW is going to say,"yeah we have started making the ST to the lowest standard possible" thanks for asking. I see why there are those that post little if at all anymore. I noticed what might be a lowering of additives of an oil and am insulted by some. That is fine that only shows the respect or lack thereof of some toward others. I am not a victim but I like some expect to be treated with respect unless and or until I do something that would give a reason to be treated otherwise. A forum where one can't be seen is no reason to disrespect another. As far as ST being above average, I think that VOA and UOA tests have been able to show that it has held up as well as the majors, that is for now. If it has changed as Mag1 has it may no longer do so. I don't know I am only wondering. As I stated before,I am using ST at the moment and have used it off and on for years. The lowering of one additive is not as concerning as the lowering of 4-5 as Mag1 has done.

All boils down to money and how much Highline Warren wants to spend. Personally I will use Providence brand or Mobil Super. CarbonSteel has used lots of Mobil Super and I’ve done a recent BOA of it.

In its day Super Tech was a decent deal but with a oil like K&N synthetic on sale $14.99 sorry Super Tech doesn’t get my vote

I don't need no "mansplaning" . I think it is quite odd that some can not control themselves to the point that they must insult someone.
Without accusations of new ownership right out of the box in post #1. I would bet the thread would have gone much smoother. The tone was set, blame was laid.

A call could have cleared this up - or if not - you could say, "I called HLW and they gave no credible explanation".

Years ago, I called a very helpful regional sales guy for Idemitsu, USA in Indiana, and he was surprisingly quite helpful about the Subaru Genuine Oil, he even warned that moly content was going to be reduced in the next ILSAC go round.

Last edited:
I don't need no "mansplaning" . I think it is quite odd that some can not control themselves to the point that they must insult someone. I am quite sure that HW is going to say,"yeah we have started making the ST to the lowest standard possible" thanks for asking. I see why there are those that post little if at all anymore. I noticed what might be a lowering of additives of an oil and am insulted by some. That is fine that only shows the respect or lack thereof of some toward others. I am not a victim but I like some expect to be treated with respect unless and or until I do something that would give a reason to be treated otherwise. A forum where one can't be seen is no reason to disrespect another. As far as ST being above average, I think that VOA and UOA tests have been able to show that it has held up as well as the majors, that is for now. If it has changed as Mag1 has it may no longer do so. I don't know I am only wondering. As I stated before,I am using ST at the moment and have used it off and on for years. The lowering of one additive is not as concerning as the lowering of 4-5 as Mag1 has done.
Again, the spectrographic analysis does not show additives. It also does not show how the oil is "holding up" either. Most everything that comprises performance requirements for an API license are not tested by a $30 UOA or VOA. If that were true then SAE J300 could be discarded in favor of a Blackstone analysis.

You like to blame others on here for things but you keep repeating the same fallacies over and over and instead drag it back to personal criticism.

1. MAG 1® FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-30 MOTOR OIL
    FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL PASSENGER CAR MOTOR OIL
    MAG 1® Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is our purest and most advanced formulation. It delivers unsurpassed protection and performance, including the following benefits:

MAG 1® Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil meet or exceed GM dexos1™ Gen 3 specifications for worldwide warranty requirements for all GM automotive gasoline engines currently in use. The oils are fully licensed by GM.
    Engineered to improve fuel mileage and to maximize horsepower and acceleration.
    Longer and better engine protection than conventional oils due to strong and uniform synthetic base oils and advanced molecules that provide a strong film barrier to control friction, resist wear and keep metal surfaces from coming into contact.
    Created for extreme hot and cold driving conditions: stop and go, frequent short trips, heavy loads and dusty conditions.
    Meets or exceeds API SP and ILSAC GF-6A requirements
  2. TYPICAL PROPERTIES
    Boron, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.023
    Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.135
    Cold Cranking Simulator at (°C), cP ASTM D5293 4400 (-30)
    Color ASTM D1500 3
    Flash Point °C ASTM D92 227
    Flash Point °F ASTM D92 441
    Foam Seq. III (Tendency/Stability), mL ASTM D892 (Opt. A) 0/0
    Foam Seq. II (Tendency/Stability), mL ASTM D892 (Opt. A) 10/0
    Foam Seq. I (Tendency/Stability), mL ASTM D892 (Opt. A) 0/0
    Gravity, °API ASTM D287 35.82
    High Temperature Foaming, static foam ASTM D6082 (Opt A) 15/0
    High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP ASTM D5481 3.2
    Magnesium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.059
    Molybdenum, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.0079
    Nitrogen, wt. % ASTM D4629 0.104
    Noack Volatility, % loss ASTM D6375 12
    Phosphorus, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.076
    Pour Point °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -45°C (-49°F)
    Pumping Viscosity at (°C), cP ASTM D4684 15,000 (-35)
    Shear Stability, Final Viscosity in cSt ASTM D6278 9.4
    Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.8457
    Sulfated Ash, wt. % ASTM D874 0.9
    Sulfur, wt. % ASTM D4951 0.3
    TBN, mgKOH/g ASTM D2896 7.9
    Viscosity @ 100°C cSt ASTM D445 10.91
    Viscosity @ 40°C cSt ASTM D445 62.09
    Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 169
    Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.085
  3. Information accurate as of November 11, 2022
HLW Full Synthetic Premium product looks like the old package (note: volatility is near Dexos limit) Maybe just transition to that.

Last edited:
Again, the spectrographic analysis does not show additives. It also does not show how the oil is "holding up" either. Most everything that comprises performance requirements for an API license are not tested by a $30 UOA or VOA. If that were true then SAE J300 could be discarded in favor of a Blackstone analysis.
To your point I recall Fuchs Petrolub (Germany) Formulating a 'zero-saps oil' over a decade ago that had demonstrated exceptional performance through certification and in use.

Compounds that do not have earth metal 'heads' (those other than: Ca, B, Mg, Mo, Ti, Zn, etc) do not show up in spectrographic analysis and many of these beneficial compounds have come into broader use in the past decade in motor oil formulation.

The price on Super Tech oil has risen significantly, since Pritzker bought out Warren Distribution.
I suspect this is all on Walmart, not their supplier. No one raises their prices to Walmart without possible repercussions.

The last time I talked to someone at WD, they told me they blend exactly as they are instructed by the recipe given to them by the end customer. WD doesn't formulate.
Isn't Supertech oil identical to a whole bunch of different store brands out there ? If so, what they told you can't be correct. They almost certainly at least bought (or license) a formulation and then offer it as a private-labeled oil to anyone that wants to resell it.

I guess we won’t get an answer from him.
I DID answer the question in my last post. I said if a single additive was dropped it may be nothing but when 4-5 are dropped from what they once were it could be of a concern.

1. MAG 1® FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-30 MOTOR OIL
    FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL PASSENGER CAR MOTOR OIL
    MAG 1® Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is our purest and most advanced formulation. It delivers unsurpassed protection and performance, including the following benefits:

MAG 1® Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil meet or exceed GM dexos1™ Gen 3 specifications for worldwide warranty requirements for all GM automotive gasoline engines currently in use. The oils are fully licensed by GM.
    Engineered to improve fuel mileage and to maximize horsepower and acceleration.
    Longer and better engine protection than conventional oils due to strong and uniform synthetic base oils and advanced molecules that provide a strong film barrier to control friction, resist wear and keep metal surfaces from coming into contact.
    Created for extreme hot and cold driving conditions: stop and go, frequent short trips, heavy loads and dusty conditions.
    Meets or exceeds API SP and ILSAC GF-6A requirements
  2. TYPICAL PROPERTIES
    Boron, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.023
    Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.135
    Cold Cranking Simulator at (°C), cP ASTM D5293 4400 (-30)
    Color ASTM D1500 3
    Flash Point °C ASTM D92 227
    Flash Point °F ASTM D92 441
    Foam Seq. III (Tendency/Stability), mL ASTM D892 (Opt. A) 0/0
    Foam Seq. II (Tendency/Stability), mL ASTM D892 (Opt. A) 10/0
    Foam Seq. I (Tendency/Stability), mL ASTM D892 (Opt. A) 0/0
    Gravity, °API ASTM D287 35.82
    High Temperature Foaming, static foam ASTM D6082 (Opt A) 15/0
    High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP ASTM D5481 3.2
    Magnesium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.059
    Molybdenum, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.0079
    Nitrogen, wt. % ASTM D4629 0.104
    Noack Volatility, % loss ASTM D6375 12
    Phosphorus, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.076
    Pour Point °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -45°C (-49°F)
    Pumping Viscosity at (°C), cP ASTM D4684 15,000 (-35)
    Shear Stability, Final Viscosity in cSt ASTM D6278 9.4
    Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.8457
    Sulfated Ash, wt. % ASTM D874 0.9
    Sulfur, wt. % ASTM D4951 0.3
    TBN, mgKOH/g ASTM D2896 7.9
    Viscosity @ 100°C cSt ASTM D445 10.91
    Viscosity @ 40°C cSt ASTM D445 62.09
    Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 169
    Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.085
  3. Information accurate as of November 11, 2022
HLW Full Synthetic Premium product looks like the old package (note: volatility is near Dexos limit) Maybe just transition to that.
You have quoted a syn. oil. I was talking about the high mileage syn blend that Mag1 has.

Without accusations of new ownership right out of the box in post #1. I would bet the thread would have gone much smoother. The tone was set, blame was laid.

A call could have cleared this up - or if not - you could say, "I called HLW and they gave no credible explanation".

Years ago, I called a very helpful regional sales guy for Idemitsu, USA in Indiana, and he was surprisingly quite helpful about the Subaru Genuine Oil, he even warned that moly content was going to be reduced in the next ILSAC go round.
So,do you and others not wonder if Valvoline will be changed for the worse since its new ownership? How can a person not wonder if a product will be changed after a new owner takes over. Warren was bought by the Pritzkern family,if you want that to be political that is up to you but you can't discuss the new ownership without mention of the new owner. If I say that Saudi Arabia bought Valvoline is that political? Saudi Arabia did buy Valvoline albeit through their own oil company but it is still the same,Saudi owns Valvoline. Have not many here wondered and may still that Fram will be cheapened after its new ownership. It was even wondered recently regarding their adbv color, had the material changed.

I DID answer the question in my last post. I said if a single additive was dropped it may be nothing but when 4-5 are dropped from what they once were it could be of a concern.

You missed the point and that is what others have been telling you here. A oil analysis will tell you the amount of an element but it doesn’t tell you which form of that element it is. Calcium, boron, molybdenum, these and others come in many different forms. In the case of moly there is the tri nuclear form of molybdenum which REQUIRES LESS TO ACHIEVE THE SAME EFFECT versus the older moly.

There are several knowledgeable people on here that have been trying to tell you this. Stop and read their comments.

You missed the point and that is what others have been telling you here. A oil analysis will tell you the amount of an element but it doesn’t tell you which form of that element it is. Calcium, boron, molybdenum, these and others come in many different forms. In the case of moly there is the tri nuclear form of molybdenum which REQUIRES LESS TO ACHIEVE THE SAME EFFECT versus the older moly.

There are several knowledgeable people on here that have been trying to tell you this. Stop and read their comments.
But you can't keep using the words "additives", "cheapen" and the name Pritzker in every post if you do that.

Yes of course it does. That is a marker for a specific performance level and also a fairly significant one.
It doesn’t matter to me. I don’t own a GM vehicle. If the certification is on the label, I don’t bother looking for it and the certification doesn’t effect my purchase one way or the other. Motorcraft oil doesn’t have the Dexos certification but, It meets the Ford specification for my vehicle and the latest API specifications. Similar situation with VW 508.00/509.00.

Wait....not as much moly in the new formula? MoS2 to the rescue! In before lock.

1669063637172.jpg

Back