Supertech may be changing

Was looking at the PDS sheets for Mag1 Syn blend hm oil and they have changed quite a bit. Moly has went to 40 ppm.,boron to 70 ppm. phos. 640 ppm. zinc to 700 ppm. If this is the same or similar to the ST All Mileage it too will probably change. The takeover of WPP by the Pritzker family is probably why.

Yeah, that's why, it has absolutely nothing with the whole industry transitioning all PCMO to be mid-SAPS.
Mag 1 used to have much higher amounts of moly,boron and other additives even AFTER meeting SP standards. WPP was taken over by the Pritzker family in a leveraged buy out and there have been those on the board that have wondered if the takeover would cause the oil to be made cheaper. It appears that this may be taking place. QS,Valvoline and others have much higher additives what happened the mid SAPS with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the condescending remarks.
No wonder many have stopped coming to the site, if you don't agree that is fine but don't belittle someone. Mag 1 used to have much higher amounts of moly,boron and other additives even AFTER meeting SP standards. WPP was taken over by the Pritzker family in a leveraged buy out and there have been those on the board that have wondered if the takeover would cause the oil to be made cheaper. It appears that this may be taking place. QS,Valvoline and others have much higher additives what happened the mid SAPS with them?
While I agree that the oil changed more about industry trends than a takeover (although that’s certainly debatable)...I also would be interested in knowing how many people join this place, are excited, ask a question about what oil and interval to run in their new car purchase, and run right out of here. I guess that’s probably typical of forums though, and hey, no one says you can’t respond in kind.

Last edited:
While I agree that the oil changed more about industry trends than a takeover (although that’s certainly debatable)...I also would be interested in knowing how many people join this place, are excited, ask a question about what oil and interval to run in their new car purchase, and run right out of here. I guess that’s probably typical of forums though, and hey, no one says you can’t respond in kind.
I think part of the problem is everyone takes everything personally and assumes the worst with every response. While that response certainly wasn't roses and sunshine if you just read the words for what they mean and you do not try and guess the tone it wasn't that bad. Everyone needs a little thicker skin.

I think part of the problem is everyone takes everything personally and assumes the worst with every response. While that response certainly wasn't roses and sunshine if you just read the words for what they mean and you do not try and guess the tone it wasn't that bad. Everyone needs a little thicker skin.
As far as oil changing. Yes the trends are changing but the takeover of Warren Distribution seems to have made an impact. Moly was 79 ppm. just a short time ago. Boron was close to 200 ppm. give or take a few. Zinc was in the 700 + range. While industry may be at play it seems rather ironic that these rather large drops in additives happened not long after the take over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be naive…but it is a HM oil, it could be a reduction from a new add-pack designed to prolong cat life with lowered metallics additives? Maybe there is stuff we ‘can’t see’ in this PDS?

Or, we could choose to treat each other with kindness and respect instead of blaming the victim for not having thick enough skin.
Ok...well since you can't control how others respond you can choose to be offended by everything (your loss) or not participate (your loss) or you can let it be water off a duck's back and move on with life (your gain).

Making your statement treating people with kindness is right on but it is NEVER going to change how people respond and the only thing you have control over is how you choose to take the comment.

Let's all take a step back and knock off the personal comments, eh?

As for the lube itself changing, why can't it be both; a market movement likely in concert with a business model change due to ownership? Will ST be changing as well? Possibly, as it's unlikely that ST "specs" it's own oil blends; they probably just let the contract company make those decisions and as long as they stay within the accepted contract guidelines, WM just markets what they are provided.

I would like to know more about the additives not seen in a typical oil analysis. It seems since they can’t be seen, oil blenders consider it a secret and it is never or seldom discussed.

Back