Supertech may be changing

As I stated before,if the same thing starts happening to the majors then we will know that it is the new industry standard and if not it seems even more likely that as some have feared,ST has been reduced to a "meets the standard" only oil.
How did you know the oil exceeded standards before and by how much?

I'm surprised no one has asked the question; regardless of what the numbers of the new stuff are compared to the previous stuff, is there going to be enough of a difference in lubrication quality to cause an engine to wear excessively, or experience an oil related failure much sooner because of using this oil? I would lean more towards the answer to this question being no, unless someone can show otherwise. I still say any given engine will outlast the rest of the vehicle using the least expensive oil you can find...in other words, I don't believe there are any bad oils...

Not to be naive…but it is a HM oil, it could be a reduction from a new add-pack designed to prolong cat life with lowered metallics additives? Maybe there is stuff we ‘can’t see’ in this PDS?
I just looked at the surprisingly comprehensive PDS (link below) for their 5W30 FS product and saw a VERY robust earth metal compound package - Addguy may have something with older engine's typical higher oil usage and a beneficial reduction of organometallics.

I think the O.P. should give HLW a call and allow them some mansplaining BEFORE jumping to unsupported conclusions.

diclaimer- I don't use this product and I have no skin in the HLW/WD game other than casual observation.

- Ken

I'm surprised no one has asked the question; regardless of what the numbers of the new stuff are compared to the previous stuff, is there going to be enough of a difference in lubrication quality to cause an engine to wear excessively, or experience an oil related failure much sooner because of using this oil? I would lean more towards the answer to this question being no, unless someone can show otherwise. I still say any given engine will outlast the rest of the vehicle using the least expensive oil you can find...in other words, I don't believe there are any bad oils...
Correct. I will continue to use ST if it's the cheapest on 2/5 of my vehicles. Given the same price, I'd go name-brand of course which seems to be Quaker State if Walmart is your jam. For the 90-whatever percent of users here daily-driving reliable/basic vehicles uses in "normal" conditions, I suspect any oil meeting specs/approvals/etc. for their given vehicle would show adequate preformance for the life of the vehicle with "adequte" meaning "engine runs as-designed and doesn't have a lubrication-related failure/breakdown/issue". For those in severe use/conditions/beating on them, then the discussion is more interesting.

You’re skeptical that one retailer has unilaterally cheapened a commodity blend?
Not at all - it was a joke.

@ARCOgraphite had humourously made reference to the Warren Commission (convened to investigate the JFK assassination). The Warren Commission had controversially concluded "Oswald acted alone".

My comment was an attempt to say "I see what you did there".

The price on Super Tech oil has risen significantly, since Pritzker bought out Warren Distribution. Compare the prices the next time any of you are in Walmart.
I really noticed this too in Canada.
Kirkland in Canada has almost doubled in 1 year, for 2 jugs.
It's bonkers.

I really noticed this too in Canada.
Kirkland in Canada has almost doubled in 1 year, for 2 jugs.
It's bonkers.
In some cases, ST is still the least expensive. For example ST motorcycle oil has gone from $5.XX to $8.XX over just the last year, and it's still the least expensive full synthetic motorcycle oil I can find...now as far as automotive oil goes, 5qt jug vs 5 qt jug, Providence is less expensive than ST, and both are bottled by Warren...

For that application, I would say ANY brand full synthetic would do the job...
But you can get more into it is my point and have a discussion. To drive a '05 Camry to the grocery store for 10K/year...seriously...who gives a flip what oil is in it...change it at 5K for life using ST. I'm not running ST in a car being used on the track vs. say HPL etc.

I think that’s what most people on this thread are saying. The only real and factual information about the performance is the license and specifications the oil holds. The rest is someone’s imagination or rank speculation.

Ive done enough oil testing. In the future I will test Quaker State 5W30 and ST Full Synthetic 5W30, but I will probably end up with ST Advanced 5W30.

One fact in STs favor is its super available at Walmart. Walmart has other brands on the shelves but not quite like SuperTech. SuperTech is put out there prominently and well stocked. The other brands are hit and miss.

I love visiting the islands but dont enjoy feeling Im on an island when it comes to these matters. I like to visit the store and come out with what I need.

Ive done enough oil testing. In the future I will test Quaker State 5W30 and ST Full Synthetic 5W30, but I will probably end up with ST Advanced 5W30.

One fact in STs favor is its super available at Walmart. Walmart has other brands on the shelves but not quite like SuperTech. SuperTech is put out there prominently and well stocked. The other brands are hit and miss.

I love visiting the islands but dont enjoy feeling Im on an island when it comes to these matters. I like to visit the store and come out with what I need.
Our local WM doesn't keep the the shelves stocked with ST well at all. In fact, the last couple of times I've gone there with the intent of picking up some ST for my cars, I've had to buy a different brand because the ST was out of stock...I order the ST motorcycle oil from their website, it hasn't been in stock in the store for months...

I do know there are two kinds of Walmart stores. There are "stores" and "supercenters". Some of them have a dedicated automobile center. So it depends. It sounds like thats a lower ranking store on the Walmart spectrum.
Our WM has a dedicated automotive section, but that doesn't seem to help in keeping the shelves stocked with oil...who knows if it's due to incompetence/goldbricking of the department, or if it's a bottleneck in the supply chain...

I don't need no "mansplaning" . I think it is quite odd that some can not control themselves to the point that they must insult someone. I am quite sure that HW is going to say,"yeah we have started making the ST to the lowest standard possible" thanks for asking. I see why there are those that post little if at all anymore. I noticed what might be a lowering of additives of an oil and am insulted by some. That is fine that only shows the respect or lack thereof of some toward others. I am not a victim but I like some expect to be treated with respect unless and or until I do something that would give a reason to be treated otherwise. A forum where one can't be seen is no reason to disrespect another. As far as ST being above average, I think that VOA and UOA tests have been able to show that it has held up as well as the majors, that is for now. If it has changed as Mag1 has it may no longer do so. I don't know I am only wondering. As I stated before,I am using ST at the moment and have used it off and on for years. The lowering of one additive is not as concerning as the lowering of 4-5 as Mag1 has done.

Back