Supertech may be changing

I am not a victim and why do other oils have higher additive amounts? How does pointing out that additives have been lowered mean a person doesn't understand something? If this is the new trend then why have the majors not done this long before WH? You seem to be one of those that have little to contribute to a discussion so you insult. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't comment. If you don't like the thread, don't comment. You are not being asked to participate. There are times when a search doesn't tell you that much and I haven't seen anyone discussing ST having there additives being reduced. While there may be some things that we don't know in its makeup I think it would be safe to say that if they had some special blend that the majors would have been doing it long before WH.
How do you even know what the "additive amounts" are? Do you know what is in a spectrographic analysis? It is a record of (some of) the metallic elements in decomposed compounds only, not a record of additives. And besides it is the license, specification or approval that guarantees performance, not a few metallic atoms that might show up in a VOA.

This thread is a good illustration of the silliness that surrounds reading the tea leaves of a UOA or VOA and trying to ascertain future performance.

Blenders (e.g. Highline Warren) source additive packages from suppliers such as Infineum, Oronite, Afton, etc. Due to continued supply chain constraints, it is very possible that Warren is using a different additive package than before. Or, their additive supplier has revised the package in preparation for newer specifications such as Dexos 1 Gen 3. As they say, there are many ways to skin a cat, so it is possible to achieve the same performance outcomes using different (or lower) levels of certain additives.

Or maybe a higher use of non-metallic, non-polymer, additives that don’t show up in standard oil testing.

Or perhaps there have been some major market shifts. And Highline decided to purchase a new additive package from another manufacturer.

Reladyne won the Take 5 contract. And that’s 12+ million gallons a year of product. So you’re going to have some shifting of production simply on that aspect. (This is public knowledge at this point, not confidential.)

At one time it used to be called Warren Performance Products or Packaging,it was even on the bottom of the jugs not too long ago. If you go back and do a search you may be able to find a mention of it. When the WPP was dropped on the ST jugs people were unsure how to know they still bottled oil for WM.

I know that there were two Warrens. Warren Petroleum Products and Warren Distribution. They got mixed up all the time and they still do despite the name change of WD to Highline Warren.

It should be clarified that Pritzker bought Warren Distribution, now Highline Warren.

WPP (Warren Oil) is a different company.
Since this has not been clarified I will reluctantly post.

When I looked into this years ago, Wpp was a packaging arm of WD, originally packaging antifreeze soon packaging lubricants

Warren Oil Co. LLC is something else altogether :

Question now is, has Wpp and WD split with only one arm acquired?

- Ken 22117-1448hrs

Since this has not been clarified I will reluctantly post.

When I looked into this years ago, Wpp was a packaging arm of WD, originally packaging antifreeze soon packaging lubricants

Warren Oil Co. LLC is something else altogether :

Question now is, has Wpp and WD split with only one arm acquired?

- Ken 22117-1448hrs

Oh that’s a long history involving a lot of players…

This is literally - want to get together and have a beer type conversation.

It involves Hammond lubricants, safety Kleen, my company, and a bunch of others.

For sake of conversation - they’ve not been connected to each other for decades at this point.

The formulas can change for various reasons such as a shortage of materials or the increased cost of materials. When you test a virgin oil sample usually what comes back from the lab is different then whats listed on the website. I tested a batch of SuperTech "Advanced" and the testing came back very positive.
The Mag1 site has according to the site updated their PDS as of this month. While ST may not change it is quite possible the batch tested may not be the most up to date product. I am just wondering if it is being cheapened after the forced takeover of Warren Distribution.

Last edited:
Warren Distribution/APP was started in Nebraska by the Schlotz(SP?) family and Warren Oil was started by Irvin Warren in I think North Carolina.As far as the information I can find they are not nor have they ever been associated in any way.

There is a lot more information available nowadays and there is an expectation for folks use the search function before asking redundant questions (and asking to be spoon-fed).
How has this changed since 20 years ago? The questions back then were more basic than today. That is why people are here, to ask questions and give advice. Perhaps Grampi's answer to my post is spot on after all.

The last time I talked to someone at WD, they told me they blend exactly as they are instructed by the recipe given to them by the end customer. WD doesn't formulate.
Wayne - did you inquire about ST fluids? I cannot imagine Walmart has tribologists working for them. I suspect they contract out that type work.

Was looking at the PDS sheets for Mag1 Syn blend hm oil and they have changed quite a bit. Moly has went to 40 ppm.,boron to 70 ppm. phos. 640 ppm. zinc to 700 ppm. If this is the same or similar to the ST All Mileage it too will probably change. The takeover of WPP by the Pritzker family is probably why.
So does this mean the oil is getting better or worse?

Wayne - did you inquire about ST fluids? I cannot imagine Walmart has tribologists working for them. I suspect they contract out that type work.
I did not inquire about ST, but it was a blanket statement that WD does not to formulating. Walmart doesn't need tribologists, they buy an add pack from one of the companies that make engine oil add packs and WD follows the engine oil recipe from the add pack manufacturer. Add this much add pack and you can use these base fluids, VIIs, etc. If they simply follow the recipe when blending, they will have an engine oil that meets API SP, etc. I can't imagine WalMart would see any reason to try to make a better oil by top treating the supplier's recipe. If you want to make your own engine oil, you can do the same.

Warren Distribution/APP was started in Nebraska by the Schlotz(SP?) family and Warren Oil was started by Irvin Warren in I think North Carolina.As far as the information I can find they are not nor have they ever been associated in any way.
Here is a photo of WD and WPp in Council bluffs, Iowa. WPp is in foreground at some point WD started calling WPp
WD interchangeably. They do blending bottling and packaging. Across the road are two connected warehouses that are Warren Distribution.

WD (now Highline Warren as Pim stated) also has another large facility in West Virginia, some smaller facilities in Alabama, Ohio and Texas and corporate offices were in Omaha, NE

manufacturing_ia-landscape.jpg

The Mag1 site has according to the site updated their PDS as of this month. While ST may not change it is quite possible the batch tested may not be the most up to date product. I am just wondering if it is being cheapened after the forced takeover of Warren Distribution.
There we go with the cheapening thing again. How do you know if it was cheapened?

You seem to be more interested in the politics side than an actual technical answer to your question.

I did not inquire about ST, but it was a blanket statement that WD does not to formulating. Walmart doesn't need tribologists, they buy an add pack from one of the companies that make engine oil add packs and WD follows the engine oil recipe from the add pack manufacturer. Add this much add pack and you can use these base fluids, VIIs, etc. If they simply follow the recipe when blending, they will have an engine oil that meets API SP, etc. I can't imagine WalMart would see any reason to try to make a better oil by top treating the supplier's recipe. If you want to make your own engine oil, you can do the same.
HL Warren, surely contract out the API Cert process for a finished lubricant - or does API now allow through EOLCS big Additive suppliers to provide a "recipe" with base interchange allowances with guarantees to the blender and API that the finished lubricant will meet/exceed sequence testing for cert - after demonstrating performance with a generic blend?
I would guess that Warren might present to WM or AutoZone, "We have generic, high quality PCMO line that meets current industry requirements. Then WM comes back, " If you can undercut Quacker Slate or YESSNO by 20 percent, slap our brand label and colors on it, we will guarantee a min 200,000 gal. in orders per qtr, CY 2023. Does that scenario sound nuts?

- Ken

HL Warren, surely contract out the API Cert process for a finished lubricant
No, they don't need to, the recipe has already passed the certifications, as long as the blender follows the recipe.

does API now allow through EOLCS big Additive suppliers to provide a "recipe" with base interchange allowances with guarantees to the blender and API that the finished lubricant will meet/exceed sequence testing for cert - after demonstrating performance with a generic blend?

The additive suppliers have paid for the expensive testing that demonstrates the recipe passes all aspects of the spec, SP for example. When you buy their add pack, they give you a blend sheet with all the possible combinations that will pass the minimum spec for API cert.

There are people who still buys ST knowing it's the cheapest without looking at the price tag. I'm referring to those who just grab the item and put in the cart without looking at the price. There are so many shoppers out there of this kind.
I'll add to this, Supertech is still the best deal if your definition of a deal is the cheapest product that meets the basic requirements. And that, for many people, is the whole sense of value. Many people don't care about comparing VOAs and such to get the "best" oil for the money, they just want oil. And there's no way that Walmart ever allows Supertech to become anything other than the cheapest oil they sell to maintain that crown.

I'll add to this, Supertech is still the best deal if you're definition of a deal is the cheapest product that meets the basic requirements. And that, for many people, is the whole sense of value. Many people don't care about comparing VOAs and such to get the "best" oil for the money, they just want oil. And there's no way that Walmart ever allows Supertech to become anything other than the cheapest oil they sell to maintain that crown.

But is it the cheapest. Quaker State and Havoline synthetic can be had for less.

The price on Super Tech oil has risen significantly, since Pritzker bought out Warren Distribution. Compare the prices the next time any of you are in Walmart.
Same price as Quaker State now.

Back