Supertech full synthetic 75/140 from Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would use Motorcraft Full Synthetic 75-140. If you have the Limited Slip differential LS, add a bottle of Motorcraft frition modifier. Your Ford Sterling was not designed around ST.

I actually was going to use the Ford stuff BUT it's $24 per quart. I need 3.5 quarts. Thats spendy.

The motorcraft is some good stuff but expensive. Are you sure it's $24 a quart? Did you call the dealership?

Just picket up a few quarts on clearance for $1.50 each (normally near $11 each), it's not bad stuff. For that original price though, I'd just go with the Top 3 listed above, unless you score a major deal.

Try it you might be surprised. I'm using it in an old truck right now. This older higher mileage truck has lots of slop (backlash) and made a fair amount of noise for about the last 40,000 miles with two other gear oils. The Supertech full synthetic 75/140 seems to have really quited it down to where it is a non issue now. I was running Mobil synthetic gear oil in it when the noise started. Just my experience.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: moterhd
Is this a good quality synthetic to go into my Ford Sterling 10.5?

Thanks, Pat

Amsoil SVO 75W-140

This is the one I would recommend as well. Already has FM and is a high quality gear oil.

Ford, in Bellevue (WA), quoted me $24 per quart at the service counter. $96, plus the friction modifier is hard to take. Will probably return the ST stuff to Walmart and buy Amsoil Severe Duty for $15 a quart on-line.

Thanks for the replies.

Pat

I'm in Duvall or could meet you in Redmond can do under $15

I wish the Amsoil dealer I buy from would "deal", too.

How do you guys think about Royal Purple 75-140 (Synthetic)? I am asking because I just put this in a '02 Ford Explorer with no limited slip. No friction modifier needed for my LSD fluid drain and refill. I bought this over the Mobil 75-140 due, to some good reviews in various off-road SUV magazine articles. I tried it but notice there is a little groaning around 30-40mph range off and on sometimes. I opened up the fill plug and a small stream of LSD fluid poured out. So, it is not because of lack of LSD fluid unless, I put too much. I also notice in mornings that my car does not want to go like, the LSD fluid is too thick or something. Royal Purple claims it has "Synchromesh" which, I am guessing is the friction modifier. Their website also claims no additional friction modifier needed due, to it being synthetic and having friction modifiers/LSD additives in it already.

Last edited:
I'm running RP 85w140, it seems to be working quite well in my 11.50AAM. I went from seeing metal "fuzz" on the magnet with both the original fill and Mobile 1, to almost nothing with the RP fill over the past 80k.

If the SuperTech is like all their other ST products, I would not hesitate to use it and change it on a slightly shorter frequency.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: moterhd
Is this a good quality synthetic to go into my Ford Sterling 10.5?

Thanks, Pat

Amsoil SVO 75W-140

This is the one I would recommend as well. Already has FM and is a high quality gear oil.

Me too for sure...a little bit extra $$ but you can run it 100,000 miles.

I'm in Duvall or could meet you in Redmond can do under $15

Make sure you wear dark glasses & an overcoat....covert oil agent ....
13.gif

Originally Posted By: ludey
How do you guys think about Royal Purple 75-140 (Synthetic)? I am asking because I just put this in a '02 Ford Explorer with no limited slip. No friction modifier needed for my LSD fluid drain and refill. I bought this over the Mobil 75-140 due, to some good reviews in various off-road SUV magazine articles. I tried it but notice there is a little groaning around 30-40mph range off and on sometimes. I opened up the fill plug and a small stream of LSD fluid poured out. So, it is not because of lack of LSD fluid unless, I put too much. I also notice in mornings that my car does not want to go like, the LSD fluid is too thick or something. Royal Purple claims it has "Synchromesh" which, I am guessing is the friction modifier. Their website also claims no additional friction modifier needed due, to it being synthetic and having friction modifiers/LSD additives in it already.

Put the truck on a level driveway or garage floor and open the fill plug..let any overfill drain out into a pan. You may have overfilled it. BTW, does your explorer spec that viscosity?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back