Supertech Full Synthetic 5w30 give it a spin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a grand opening of Wally world here in California and they had 6quarts of 5w30 Full Synthetic Super Tech. Usually they only have 10w30 in very very small amounts. It's $3.01/qt and most likely it is hyrdrocracked since the back had a warning containing Petroleum and Syntethic compounds. Well the packaging bottle was kind of warped or bloated so I can tell they definately cut cost on packaging.

Havent seen any VOA or UOA on the synthetic stuff but from just the regualr DINO looks like this board is showing that the source oil for supertech is inconsistent. I wouldnt be surprised since I think they just get the oil from the lowest bidder.

Well for $3/qt compared to M1 3.94/qt at 3.5qt an oil change, is it worth the drop in grade? I think if I used supertech synthetic I would change at 3K but with M1 at 5K depending on my UOA that comes in.

Any opinions or experience with supertech Full Synthetics?

BTW: This walmart is selling each M1 quart at $3.94 but the 5quart jug for $22.93. Kinda weird I would be saving by using the per quart method (5qts for 19.70), but I did notice the single quart bottles were SS and not TriSynth

It's worth a shot, it'll probably give you decent results as long as you don't try to extend the intervals too far.

The main beef most people have with group 3 synthetics is their cost is usually too close to that of the group 4/5 stuff, but when you can get it for much cheaper, it becomes more tempting.

Maybe try the first interval at 4k and see how it looks. You might find you can go 5-6k without too much trouble.

I'm putting in Walmart 0w30 synthetic in my mom's car this weekend, and will use it for 3000 mile intervals (since she only drives about 60-70mi per week it'll take almost a year to rack up 3k)

ST Synthetic

Viscoscity @ 40c 56.7
@ 100 c 10.3
Pour point F -48
Viscoscity Index 150
Low Temp Visc cP @ Temp C Max High Temp/ High Shear Vis cP 2.92
NOACK Volitility
NOACK looks a bit weak. Good pour point. No flash point data...

I have .5 quarts of ST syn. 5W30 in with 10w30 dino. Can't see any difference, although this is about as much synthetic as most blends have.

quote:

Originally posted by tadaima:
BTW: This walmart is selling each M1 quart at $3.94 but the 5quart jug for $22.93. Kinda weird I would be saving by using the per quart method (5qts for 19.70), but I did notice the single quart bottles were SS and not TriSynth

The Wally World by me gets $4.77 per qt. of M1
dunno.gif

Like Patman said, I wouldn't hesitate to try it albeit on short intervals. Send it to Blackstone after 3K miles and see how it did. Then you can let us all know
grin.gif

Mikep

WOW where'd you get the specs.

Well based of those specs looks like a pretty weak synthetic. Dont like the #'s on the VI and and Cst @100C

I'm probably going to drive somewhat hard on the 3K i'm going to put in it, so maybe I shouldnt experiment with my daily car...

I got the specs off the Warren Distribution web site. Mobil 1's 100C cSt is 10 with a VI of 167. Its 40CcSt is 56.7. Its pour point is 3 degrees worse than the ST's.

Given these figures, I'm not sure why the VI of SuperTech (Mag1 or Sears Spectrum for that matter) is only 150. Not sure how the algorhythm is figured.

I'm sure that a bunch of STP thrown into new oil would give you a very high VI, so I'm not sure what these figures really tell. I'd think that a UOA to see what's going on would be worth while before judging this oil.

You would expect a group IV oil like M1 to have better VI figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back