supertech full synthetic 5qt for $11.88, what's the catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that Wally's oil doesn't have the better quality additive package of other top syn's. Hence, it would only be good for a moderate oci, before oxidation became a problem.

I doubt it's really a bargain if you could get the same results from Pennzoil @ a cheaper price with a 5K oci.

I've seen some of the uoa's and the USA version doesn't appear to have much Moly, no Boron, and not enough ZDDP.

I'd rather get PZ dino or Syntec Blend and save some cash or go for the Mobil 1 if a real synthetic is needed.

quote:

Originally posted by C T Puchniak:
Tech 2000 synthetic in Canada was Castrol Syntek

So I was told at the store in Vancouver,BC

Clare

It may well be in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it is not in the USA. The voa's aren't even close. I think Warren bottles the oil for Wally and it could be a Petro-Canada base like Syntec, but the additives look very weak.

Lets just say the oil is not a Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Weak additive package and a group III oil(cheaper to make) .

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Lets just say the oil is not a Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Weak additive package and a group III oil(cheaper to make) .

I understand that. But, would this oil, at that price, be a good middle of the road oil? Better than any brand name dino oil on the shelf, and at least comparable to a brand name blend, make a 3000-5000 oil change interval, and do well in cold temps and high oil temps? A group III oil is still very good, right? I guess the question should be is what's the most likely base oil makeup of supertech full syn?

You can buy Rotella T 5W-40 "synthetic" for $12.88 a a gallon at Walmart. If it's a Jeep inline 6 that might be a better choice for slightly more money...

For that price you would be better off useing Rotella-T SYnthetic for $12 a gallon at Walmart. This way you know exactly what you are getting. While I am not a huge fan of Rotella-T it is a good buy at the price it sells for. In my opion Rotella-T Synthetic is just as good as Castrol SYntec at 1/2 the price!

Previous post by "Mehere", not sure whether he or the guy in the lab is the "I" in this case....

"I spoke to the guys in Omaha -- when the TECH answered the phone he said "Lab". I say it is a group IV -- I got the phone number from the Warren Distributing site which says Omaha with the Plant being across the river in Council Bluffs."

I don't think there's been much testing of the ST syn. only the blends and dino. While ST dino isn't up with Pennzoil, I think you could argue that the additives are roughly equal with say Castrol and possibly better than Valvoline.

The 5w30 looks entirely different than the 10w30, however-- moly for instance-- so they probably blending this stuff with what ever they can find on the market--which should drive brand purists nuts...

Looks like we got to the same place at the same time JB...

wink.gif

This is for dino, not synthetic, but I just can't see where ST's additive pack is out of line with other second tier oils...

Castrol, Valvoline, ST (5w30 virgin dino)
Moly: 53,0,55 (ST second)
Calcium: 1720, 2249, 1934 (ST second)
Magnesium: 3,5,4 (ST second)
Phosporous: 716,791,1122 (ST first)
Zinc: 801,952,1090 (ST first)

Additive "points" with 3 for first place, 2 for second, 1 for third: SuperTech 13, Valvoline 11, Castrol 6-- yet Castrol gets accolades and Valvoline and SuperTech are constantly criticized for having weak additives.

[ March 04, 2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
This is for dino, not synthetic, but I just can't see where ST's additive pack is out of line with other second tier oils...

Castrol, Valvoline, ST (5w30 virgin dino)
Moly: 53,0,55 (ST second)
Calcium: 1720, 2249, 1934 (ST second)
Magnesium: 3,5,4 (ST second)
Phosporous: 716,791,1122 (ST first)
Zinc: 801,952,1090 (ST first)

Additive "points" with 3 for first place, 2 for second, 1 for third: SuperTech 13, Valvoline 11, Castrol 6-- yet Castrol gets accolades and Valvoline and SuperTech are constantly criticized for having weak additives.

He was strictly talking about the full synthetic, though.
grin.gif

The dino may be a "deal," but the syn is a different issue.

I've used the Supertech synthetic in my S10, didn't do a UOA, but seat-of-the-pants analysis says it did fairly well.

Too bad none of the W-Ms I've been to in the North Texas area carry the five quart jugs, single quarts only. And at $2.99/qt, it's not much cheaper than Mobil 1, especially since M1 has dropped to $19.82 per 5-gallon jug.

quote:

Originally posted by simpleguy_68:
I've used the Supertech synthetic in my S10, didn't do a UOA, but seat-of-the-pants analysis says it did fairly well.

Too bad none of the W-Ms I've been to in the North Texas area carry the five quart jugs, single quarts only. And at $2.99/qt, it's not much cheaper than Mobil 1, especially since M1 has dropped to $19.82 per 5-gallon jug.

I wonder where all these folks get those 5-gallon jugs for $19.82. My Wal*Mart has 5 quart jugs for about that price, LOL

TB

I saw walmart has supertech full synthetic oil, in the 5qt jug, for $11.88. Weights were 5w-30 and 10w-30.
I was considering picking up one or two for the car or wife's jeep, but then a little voice in back of my head said hold off. Was the little voice right?
How can walmart sell a full syn for nearly half the price of any other full synthetic 5qt jug?
Was there ever a conclusion to who really makes supertech oil?

quote:

Originally posted by javacontour:

quote:

Originally posted by simpleguy_68:

I wonder where all these folks get those 5-gallon jugs for $19.82. My Wal*Mart has 5 quart jugs for about that price, LOL

TB

Sad that I got it right the first time and then screwed it up on the second. Teach me to post before the first cup of coffee in the morning.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Why???? Especially if it is a group IV?

http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/fullsynthetic.pdf

Actually there are two UOA's for the synthetic:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001083

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001083

In both cases the oil hung in there OK. I'm beginning to wonder whether additives are that big a predictor of good real world results.

He He ,

Almost 7k miles on 11 bucks worth of oil ..
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
It's been awhile, but the origins of SuperTech oil have been thoroughly discussed on here before. This oil is made by QuakerState. Johnny, who works for Pennzoil (which owns QuakerStare, and both are owned by Shell now) has confirmed this.

So, would SuperTech be close to Wolf's Head brand oil, Shell/Pennz/QS' lowest price brand? Wal*Mart is famous (infamous?) for forcing suppliers to lower costs and requiring nothing above minimum in quality.

Ken

"It's been awhile, but the origins of SuperTech oil have been thoroughly discussed on here before. This oil is made by QuakerState. Johnny, who works for Pennzoil (which owns QuakerStare, and both are owned by Shell now) has confirmed this."

He confirmed it, but the old Shreveport plant was phased out and production shifted to Warren Distribution when SJ shifted to SL in mid '01. Warren sells under their own name and also Sears Spectrum. It's all the same stuff. You can knock it all you want but the dino add pack looks stronger than either Valvoline OR Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back