Oil type: SuperTech 10W30 Dino
Oil interval: 2,000 miles
Oil filter: Fram PH16
Makeup oil: None
Sump capacity: 5.5 quarts
Air filter: Wix

Lab used: Blackstone
Report date: 03/15/04

Comments: This is the initial UOA done on this engine to get a reading of how it has fared over the years. This is my wife's car, which is not driven much since she stopped working 3 years ago. About 1500-2500 miles a year now. The car is garaged the rest of the time. I try to make sure it gets driven at least once or twice a week. I started running Neutra in the gas 3 tanks ago. I ran a double-dose in the first to start and normal doses since then.

code:

Miles on oil 2,000

Miles on unit 65,277 Universal

Sample date 03/07/04 Averages

Aluminum 2 3

Chromium 0 1

Iron 4 13

Copper 2 8

Lead 3 7

Tin 0 1

Molybdenum 44 29

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 0 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 0 0

Boron 2 88

Silicon 6 8

Sodium 2 7

Calcium 1753 2147

Magnesium 11 395

Phosphorus 788 795

Zinc 949 944

Barium 0 0

SUS VIS@210F 58.2

Flashpoint 400

Fuel%
Antifreeze 0.0

Water 0.0

Insolubles 0.3

TBN: 4.1

My comments: This oil looks pretty weak in the additive department, just like the synthetic ST did. Engine wear looks pretty good and no coolant problems were found. And tin looks excellent!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Yeah, yeah, I know. Fram filter
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
It was on the garage shelf from my pre-BITOG days and I threw it on one day rather than wasting it. It was replaced by a Wix 51085 oil filter along with Havoline 10W30 dino oil and 350ml Schaeffers #132 to thicken things up since I knew this engine runs hot and could handle the thicker oil. It has a 2-second dry startup clatter that I have been trying to get rid of.

A copy of the report was sent to Terry for his expert opinion. All other comments welcome.
cheers.gif

Compare STs additives to Motul 8100 XSs:

moly 11
boron 17
calcium 1241
magnesium 758
phosphorus 693
zinc 850

I dont think Sts additive pack looks bad, just average.

worshippy.gif

Hail Supertech and Fram
lol.gif
but seriously this is probably the best UOA i've seen!

It is a top UOA.No additives added to get these low numbers,only cheap 84 cent ST oil.The oil could of gone on longer easily.

quote:

Originally posted by JoggingGuy:

All other comments welcome.
cheers.gif

If I had posted this ...........
tongue.gif

This is a very good engine . Some of the other engines of this make have been hurt internally and show ugly UOA's .

How long was this oil used ? Almost a year ?

4.17 for a 5 quart jug right ?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
I may have missed it, but how long was the oil in the sump? No problems here.
wink.gif

The oil was in there about 8 months. Nasty winter weather thrown in for good measure
smile.gif

I believe that some of the earlier UOA's of ST 10w30 (unlike the 5w30) showed no moly. Meaning that Warren as a small blender is picking additives on the open market and making changes on the fly??? Doesn't bother me in the least since this stuff has always done very well in UOA's, but purists might be put off.

UOA's of ST showed that it had higher additive levels than Valvoline and much higher than Castrol, yet people always point out ST's weak add pack. I don't see it, to me it's an average if not outstanding oil that performs very well in the real world.

[ March 16, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: csandste ]

I've said before, I really don't think that any particular brand of SL rated dino oil is much better than another (in a regular passenger vehicle). Any differences in additive packages are minuscule, and they all have to pass the minimum SL requirements. As long as the OCI is reasonable and the correct viscocity used, a car engine doesn't care.

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:
Compare STs additives to Motul 8100 XSs:

moly 11
boron 17
calcium 1241
magnesium 758
phosphorus 693
zinc 850

That synlube basestock and quality of additves used makes up for it somewhat .

Compare those to the current King of low cost OTC PCMO's oil in terms of additive pack .

Mystik 5w-30 SL GF-3

Moly 108
Boron 185
Calcium 1913
Magnesium 9
Phos 1036
Zinc 1148

Sometimes it's what you don't see in analysis that is working better . Take the Motorcraft oil as an example .

[ March 16, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back