Supertech Blend -- Need Explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called a friend at WPP in Council Bluffs and he gave me the info on Wal-Mart Supertech Blend. The oil is a Group I and Group III mix with a Lubzoil additive package -- what does this mean to the common man unfamiliar with oil terms???

Group I - Solvent Freezing: Group 1 base oils are the least refined of all the groups. They are usually a mix of different hydrocarbon chains with little or no uniformity. While some automotive oils on the market use Group I stocks, they are generally used in less demanding applications.

Group II - Hydro processing and Refining: Group II base oils are common in mineral based motor oils currently available on the market. They have fair to good performance in lubricating properties such as volatility, oxidative stability and flash/fire points. They have only fair performance in areas such as pour point, cold crank viscosity and extreme pressure wear.

Group – III Hydro processing and Refining: Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of mineral oil refining of the base oil groups. Although they are not chemically engineered, they offer good performance in a wide range of attributes as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. They are commonly mixed with additives and marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic products. Group III base oils have become more common in America in the last decade.

Group IV -Chemical Reactions: Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAO's) are a common example of a synthetic base stock. Synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications.

Group V - As Indicated: Group V base oils are used primarily in the creation of oil additives. Esters and polyolesters are both common Group V base oils used in the formulation of oil additives. Group V oils are generally not used as base oils themselves, but add beneficial properties to other base oils.

Group IV and V oils are generally considered synthetic, although most common "synthetics" are Group III.

Havoline, Penzoil, Motorcraft and other conventional oils are made from Group II and even some Group III, so this probably wouldn't be the best synthetic blend.

-T

Group I is the least cost Petroleum Lubricant. Group III is a severly hydrofinished (or other oil) which is permitted to be called Synthetic. It is not really a "True Synthetic" True synthethetics are Polyolefins and Esters. Lubrizol makes additive packages. They are probably the best known.

In general you are probably overpaying. The aditive package of Supertech is kind of week-but oil analysis results seem to show that its O.K. Just don't compare this oil to say Mobil 1.

I'll see if I can dig up more info-but perhaps others will.

See above answer
lol.gif

What the other guys said...

Plus we don't know the proportions of each. If it's heavy Group III with GP 1 for miscibility, maybe, but if it's Group I with just enough GpIII thrown in to get the label, maybe not so great.

there was an article in lubes&greases about how oil can be labelled as synthetic, full synethic, syn blend, etc. See post in interesting articles section.

It's probably about 72% Group I (the cheapest base oil), maybe 8% Group III (the cheapest so-called synthetic), and about 20% additive package. Nothing to get excited about. As a contrast, Schaeffer's synthetic blends are about ~64% the best Group II+ (best dino), 16% PAO true synthetic, and 20% additive package.

Ken

Sounds like the SuperTech blend is the cheapest thing they could put in a bottle and still get away with calling a blend.

Personally I would rather buy a well made blend at a bargain price like the Motorcraft/Connoco oil if I were looking for bargain priced blends.

John

And you think the "other guys" are using the best stuff they can find in their oils? Doubt it.

I called WPP on Friday and asked for the lab - the tech there would not give me the proportions of what is in the blend - he said he does not do the mixing. Will a VOA tell us?

I've already got the info on this. See the other thread about the Supertech source.

The blend is indeed a Group 1 and Group 3 mix, with 18% being group 3, the remainder Group 1 plus the add pack.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back