Supertech 5w30 Syn, 4283 miles, 2014 Hyundai SFS, 2.0T GDI

This was from my son's Hyundai Santa Fe. . . the oil ran through the past winter and he short-trips every day for work. No oil added or consumed during OCI. I think it did pretty well as compared to the previous test which was Pennzoil Platinum (circa 2015). Other than the TBN, it seemed to perform as well as the Pennzoil. I have no plans to run ST much beyond 4000 miles in this vehicle. NOTES: oil filter was a Fram XG9688; 3800 miles is my target OCI for this vehicle.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 187
I'd say its poor quality oil due to loss of viscosity and poor fuel quzality (hi sulphur) due to low TBN remaining. I wouldnt use that oil again. Here in EU oil change intervals are 30.000Km for those engines, and your sample is less than 8.000 Km.

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin
I'd say its poor quality oil due to loss of viscosity and poor fuel quzality (hi sulphur) due to low TBN remaining. I wouldnt use that oil again. Here in EU oil change intervals are 30.000Km for those engines, and your sample is less than 8.000 Km.

This car was not used in Europe.

ST oil has a higher than normal NOACK so for a GDI engine, I'd stick with lower NOACK PP or PUP which I use in my 2019 Sorento GDI. For non - GDI engines, ST is just fine and will do the job oil is intended to do.

Originally Posted by rob1715
ST oil has a higher than normal NOACK so for a GDI engine, I'd stick with lower NOACK PP or PUP which I use in my 2019 Sorento GDI. For non - GDI engines, ST is just fine and will do the job oil is intended to do.

NOACK? ST synthetic is a DEXOS certified lube it's better than it needs to be.

One of my new favorite synthetic oils for any GDI engine : Valvoline Advanced 5W30 synthetic D1 / G2 rated : Low NOACK , low VII's and a great add pack .

Thanks for the report. I've used ST syn 5W30 in my wife's SXL. I have the Oil Change interval set at 4800 miles.

I just sampled the 9339 mile interval of Castrol Edge EP 5W30 that she ran during Covid. My wife is in early and out late (front line med) so I haven't had a chance to change until this week. The Castrol EP advertised 20K changes on DI turbo engines, so we'll see how it holds up to Hyundai/Kia.

Originally Posted by Matagonka
Yeah, viscosity was low but 5k miles is probably good for this car.

No it wasn't. Why do members act like oils shouldn't shear?

The visc and tbn loss is probably mostly from the fuel. No more than 4-5k on this oil. If the motor is ok to run with Xw-20, should not be a problem.

Originally Posted by haggler
The visc and tbn loss is probably mostly from the fuel. No more than 4-5k on this oil. If the motor is ok to run with Xw-20, should not be a problem.

Interesting, how does fuel dilution cause a drop in the TBN?

For the price, I'd say this oil did well.

Hyundai/Kia calls for 3750 mile intervals for severe service, and that would most likely put you at a TBN over 2, which would be perfect.

I agree with @addyguy. Stick to the severe service interval and this oil suits that just fine.

I bet the rest of the car falls apart before the engine starts complaining of Lube related wear.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
This engine did OK. But it might hold a 5w30 viscosity for the entire OCI by moving to either Quaker State Ultimate or Rotella T6 Gas Truck oil

I dunno about that. You'll note that the previous analysis on Pennzoil Platinum faired WORSE than the Supertech with regard to viscosity retention, although that's probably due to slightly higher fuel dilution. I believe the lower TBN of the Supertech is a result of SN+ / DEXOS G2 reduction of calcium levels (compared to the Pennzoil analysis).

Originally Posted by Robster
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
This engine did OK. But it might hold a 5w30 viscosity for the entire OCI by moving to either Quaker State Ultimate or Rotella T6 Gas Truck oil

I dunno about that. You'll note that the previous analysis on Pennzoil Platinum faired WORSE than the Supertech with regard to viscosity retention, although that's probably due to slightly higher fuel dilution. I believe the lower TBN of the Supertech is a result of SN+ / DEXOS G2 reduction of calcium levels (compared to the Pennzoil analysis).

Rob
The Platinum is a thin 5w30 viscosity. QS and Rotella are two of the thickest in the world of SN Plus / Dexos 1 / Gen2.
You stand a much better chance of remaining in 30 viscosity, at the end of your OCI.

If you must stay a little thinner, take a look at Castrol Magnatec. It's a good at staying in grade. I'm just pointing out mid-priced oils here....... $18-$25 (five quart jug) at Wally World..

Last edited:
Back