SuperTech 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 1 gallon container of Super Tech 10w-30 today at Wal-Mart and was a bit surprised to see a ACEA A3 rating on it. The only other 30 weight I've seen with an A3 label is BMW's rebranded Castrol. Anyone know where we can get more info on Super Tech?

~Sail

is the acea a3 rating not very hard to pass? i seem to remember others posting that only a synthetic could pass the a3 tests because dino was not "strong" enough for lack of a better word.

if supertech can do it, how hard is the a3 to pass?

Yes, it was the SuperTech synthetic. $12 for 5 qts.

I have no idea how hard it is to get the rating... I was just very surprised to see it on the container because I've searched high and low for A3/B3 since BMW lists it as a requirement.

~Sail

The A3 rating *is* hard to pass compared to most oil standards.
It does not, however, require synthetic. A very good conventional oil can pass it, but the conventional oils that pass it tend to be 10W40 oils.
Oils like GC 0W30 pass it by means of being fantastic oils with a wide spread.
The 10W40 I saw with it must have passed with decent oils, but not so wide of a spread, which helped keep blending demands and expenses down. It's easy to make a straight SAE 30 not shear... not so easy with a 5W30.

I use it all the time.

It's group III for $12? Sign me up.

Sure, it's no AMSOIL, but still a great oil.

Plus, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's weak. The additive package is on par with everyone else. They have no race cars to sponsor, no fancy ad campaigns, no problem with distrubution....all of that keeps costs down.

Do a little more diggin on the ST Syn. I have posted the specs a few times and don't have them readily avail on this machine I'm on now.

It's good stuff for the money. The .pdf I had downloaded was for WPP's "MAG1" oil, which is ST. XOM makes the dino here in New England, but the syn is still WPP (Warren Performance Products...aka Warren Distribution).

If memory serves, the ST syn 10W30 is 10.3cSt @100*c
I remember a UOA on the stuff which posted a 10.4cSt

I've been using this oil in my 2002 Toyota 4Runner for about 1,000 miles now with no issues. The enging seems to run smoother too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back