Supertech 10w-30 Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I couldn't get more Chevron Supreme at Wally World this morning and I wasn't going to use my last 6 qts. on the Taurus (it's reserved for my F150) so on a whim I picked up a 5 qt. jug of SuperTech 10w-30 blend for $7.74. It says "High Mileage Formula" on the bottle. Not sure what makes it a high mileage oil but I'm game. The Taurus, while nearly 8 years old, only has 67,000 miles and much of the mileage is 5 minute or less trips where the oil never reaches temp. Oh, btw....given the type of driving the wife does with this car I always do 3,000 mile drains.

In hindsight, after reading a few posts here about the ST Blend I sort of wish I had gotten the plain old ST dino 5w-30 but too late now, the blend is already in the pan.

Any thoughts on how (if at all) the ST Blend 10w-30 may benefit the Ford 3.0 12v Taurus driven the way I described? Or did I just screw the pooch?

Mikep

If you look at Warren Performance Product's web page, they have data sheets for Mag 1 blend oil. ST and Sears Spectrum is the same stuff. If I remember correctly most of the performance data is pretty good for a blend-- better than most.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
The data sheet lists a -48 pour point. Odd that it's higher than for the 5w30.

That is odd. Who would think a "high mileage" 10w may be a better winter brew than a standard 5w?

Mikep

Maybe the pour point on the "High Mileage" WallyWorld synblend is better because it has Esters in it. Don't many of the the "High Mileage" oil have esters in them to help with reconditioning old seals. If so it could be a real bargin. Of course you're going to do an UOA to satisfy our insatiable curiosity
grin.gif
. Oh, and I promise not to tell your sweet wife that you hoarded the "good" oil for yourself and used "Wally" oil in her car. But I can't guarantee what Cheryl will say
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

And cheaper than parking.
I often wonder why I'm using expensive engine oils and extending the drain intervals.
I noticed 5.3 US gallon (20L) pails of 10W30 SL rated on sale for what works out to about $12.00 USD.
What does that work out to, 65 cents a US quart?
Last month the local Wal*mart had AC Delco PFL 400AC filters on for $2.00 (or $1.50 USD), so I grabbed 12 of them.
The filters fit all 3.0 and 3.8L engines and the 03 Focus, plus other Ford applications.
In US dollars an oil change including filter for that 95 Taurus would cost about $5.00.
You could change the oil every 2000 miles, and after 100,000 miles you would have spent a total of $250.00 on oil changes.
Or, if you changed the filter every third oil change, you would spend less than $200.00 over a 100,000 mile service life, or less than $2.00 per 1000 miles.
The next guy spends $30.00 every 5000 miles on M-1 synthetic, or $600.00 on oil changes, $6.00 per 1000 miles. After 100,000 miles and ten years, neither car is worth more than 1/10th of their original value.
I know which engine would last longer. The 65 cent 2000 mile oil change one.
If you really want to save the whales, walk, take the bus, or ride a bicycle.

[ October 19, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
I often wonder why I'm using expensive engine oils and extending the drain intervals.

I agree with you, for most applications.
I use the synthetics because it gets down to -40C here in the winter, and because I live 500km away from home and have no garage here. So if I have to go 10,000km before my next visit home, I'm not worried. I'd prefer to not do maintenance than have someone else touch my car.

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Of course you're going to do an UOA to satisfy our insatiable curiosity
grin.gif
. Oh, and I promise not to tell your sweet wife that you hoarded the "good" oil for yourself and used "Wally" oil in her car. But I can't guarantee what Cheryl will say
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

I don't know about a UOA for the Taurus. Chances are we'll be selling it in the spring and replacing it with either another Taurus or an Exploder. If I'm feeling giddy at the 3K mile mark maybe I'll send it in. But I would think running two 3K mile intervals and sending in the second interval sample would yield a more accurate report for this particular oil. Last fill was CHevron Supreme 5w-30. Wouldn't want to give the Wally World stuff an unfair advantage
grin.gif

As for me "hoarding" the good stuff.....the Wally World blend is nearly $1.55 /qt vs. the Chevron at $1.08 so as far as I'm concerned, I'm going above and beyond looking out for wifey's vehicle
grin.gif

So getting back to the short trips, 5 minute jaunts to supermarket, bus stop, gym, etc etc, I thought this type of driving was extremely hard on motor oils and leads to quicker oxidation? Would a blend resist this more so than a group II/II+ like Chevron Supreme, GTX, QS, etc?

Mikep

Excellent reason for using synthetics, cold crank and flow performance. SAE 10W or 5W20 would be an alternitive in the prairie winter.
offtopic.gif

The crops looked very good along the Yellowhead route when I passed through last July.
The grain and potash shipments are sure high on the rails this month.
edit ...Groucho, YEP!

[ October 19, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

"Maybe the pour point on the "High Mileage" WallyWorld synblend is better because it has Esters in it. Don't many of the the "High Mileage" oil have esters in them to help with reconditioning old seals."

Wal-Mart seems to be parroting M1 on this and their full synthetic. 5w30 is listed as a "new car" weight and 10w30 for older cars. Not sure whether this is an older car brew in the same way that high mileage oils are. Think the 10w30's pour point is approximately 5 degrees lower than the 5w30. Would be very interesting to see if this is just a typo on the part of Warren.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
mike,

reason behind my thinking:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000367

Thx for the link....very interesting UOA and comments/responses.

As for my wife's Taurus, it does see 30 mile interstate trips once or twice a month when she goes to visit her mother. During the summer months she takes the kids down to the Jersey shore for day trip so again it gets some interstate miles on it (albeir often times bumper to bumper interstate traffic).

Now all this is really peaking my interest. I may just have to do a UOA on this Wally World blend.

Mikep

mikep,
Even if an oil has a low degree pour point it doesn't mean that the cold cranking or the cold pumpability is good. Also what oil is recommended for your year "Tarass". If you can use the Motorcraft 5W-20 in your car then that might be good choice because of it's cold pumping ability and it's Group II+ & Group III base oil. Plus it seems to be quite a good oil in the UOA's posted. Plus hey, it's only $.22+/-/quart then the Wally oil. I'll make sure Cheryl tells your sweet wife that you are only thinking of her and using more expensive oil in her car than your truck
grin.gif

Whimsey

I wonder whether there's less than meets the eye with the WallyWorld "high mileage" blends. Might the phrase simply be a means to designate that the 10W-30 "should" generally be used in older model year cars, while the 5W-30 meets the requirements for current and recent past model year cars? I've seen nothing on the WallyWorld bottles and jugs of these particular products to indicate that there's anything particularly special about them, whereas, Pennsy, Valvoline, etc DO go out of their way to indicate such in their "High Mileage" formulas. If I'm anywhere close to correct, that would put the WallyWorld "high mileage" designation uncomfortably close to misleading advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back