SuperTech 100% Sythetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GoHack:
Who makes the Walmart SuperTech 100% Synthetic oil?

Quaker State. And it's a Group III based oil, not PAO.

Yea it's 100% Imitation Synthetic
lol.gif

Well considering its only $7.50 a 5qt jug were I live, thats still a rather good price per qt if the stuff is worth much of anything.

So the question is, how does it hold up to other oils in its price catagory? normal supertech seems OK and its EXTREMELY cheap. if this stuff is DECENT. then it might be in a sweet spot for price vs performance.

Supertech is a good oil as it is Approved by SAE and API in the SL rating. The rating for the oil by api is higher than Penzoils full synthetic rated at (SJ) at about 30% price differnece. I use it exclusively and it does what it is suppose to do.

Hey superfreak!!!
welcome.gif

Judge an oil by what is does and what it cost.

[ September 03, 2003, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Originally posted by superfreak:
Supertech is a good oil as it is Approved by SAE and API in the SL rating. The rating for the oil by api is higher than Penzoils full synthetic rated at (SJ) at about 30% price differnece. I use it exclusively and it does what it is suppose to do.

Hi, SF. Any Pennzoil on the shelf that is SJ rated is old stock. All their current oils are SL rated.

welcome.gif

It's not really QS, it's a company that was bought by QS bought by PZ, bought by Shell. That blending plant is being shut down so production might move to Shell. Oh, and Warren Performance might figure in there somewhere, maybe as a bottler. That's for dino., I don't know if we've ever ascertained the pedagree of the group III stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
And it's a Group III based oil, not PAO.

Good point (presumably blended with an ester to promote controlled seal swelling and miscibility since PAO and Group III, alone, go past seals like "stuff" through a goose). Somewhat analogous to recent and persistant ramblings on this site about the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (SLX) wunder oel also composed of Group III and ester too, huh? Another danged genuine imitation synthetic...
wink.gif

[ September 03, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
And it's a Group III based oil, not PAO.

Good point (presumably blended with an ester to promote controlled seal swelling and miscibility). Somewhat analogous to recent and persistant ramblings about the German Castrol 0W-30 German (SLX) wunder oel also composed of Group III and ester too, huh?
wink.gif

Big difference, though. IF the German Syntec (Formula SLX) has Group III, it's no more than 20%, the remaining 80% being esters. IF the Supertech oil has esters, it would be 10% at most.

You're probably right, G-Man II. My inadequate reasoning powers are still stuck on the problem of possibly excessive seal swelling from that 80% concentration of ester, though. Where did the notion of that high a concentration of ester come from - Castrol or Kentucky windage?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
You're probably right, G-Man II. My inadequate reasoning powers are still stuck on the problem of possibly excessive seal swelling from that 80% concentration of ester, though. Where did the notion of that high a concentration of ester come from - Castrol or Kentucky windage?

The pour point is behind my deduction of the percentage of esters in the German Castrol, and MolaKule has confirmed the soundness of my reasoning.

Also, keep in mind that while all esters will contribute to some seal swell, some are actually engineered to promote it (like those used in Auto-RX and those used in the so-called "High Mileage" oils). It's not like "any ol' ester" is going to cause the seals in your engine to turn to jelly and blow up. If that were the case, engines running Red Line and Neo would never need an oil change because they'd be leaking it so badly, you'd be adding oil constantly.

quote:

Originally posted by superfreak:
...Supertech is a good oil as it is Approved by SAE and API in the SL rating...

The SAE and API oil grading and rating systems are are implemeted with a 'self-policing' policy. The oil companys are trusted to make sure thier oils actually meet the required standards, but there is no mandatory outside testing done by either the API or SAE unless a specific problem is being investigated, such as the recent viscosity problems with the Coastal Uni-Lube sourced oil available as house branded oil at Auto-Zone and Discount/Advance Auto Parts.
In light of this, the integrity and honesty of the particular oil company/marketer may be a point worth considering.

According to the American Petroleum Institute Web site, there is an enforcement program that applies to all companies who agree to meet the API specifications.

Aftermarket Audit Program

API's Engine Oil program is backed by an ongoing monitoring and enforcement program to ensure licensees adhere to industry technical specifications. Additionally, the program ensures that the API-registered symbols are properly displayed and convey accurate information to consumers. Currently, more than 500 marketers in 48 countries are using the symbols on more than 5,000 products. You can view a complete list of our licensees and their products by visiting our Directory of Licensees.

Since this thread started in 03, I guess it should be noted that the Quaker State subsidiary was being phased out as the oil went from SJ to SL and is now (for the most part--see separate excellent thread) Warren Performance Product product... With SM may come further contract changes. SuperTech is a brand name, not an oil. Of course some name brand oils also vary greatly by location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back